[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Novell Ethernet card running PC-NFS

andrew@megadata.mega.oz (Andrew McRae) (06/28/90)

We have a number of PC's running Novell, which have Novell
supplied Ethernet cards. We wish to keep the cards, and
move the PC's over to a TCP/IP network running PC-NFS.

I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?

The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.

Thanks for the help,

Andrew McRae			inet:	andrew@megadata.mega.oz.au
Megadata Pty Ltd,		uucp:	..!uunet!megadata.mega.oz.au!andrew
North Ryde  2113		Phone:	+61 2 805 0899
NSW    AUSTRALIA		Fax:	+61 2 887 4847

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (06/28/90)

Quoth andrew@megadata.mega.oz (Andrew McRae) (in <308@megadata.mega.oz>):
#
#I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
#PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
#that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?
#
#The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.

Does anyone know of a packet driver or an NDIS driver for this beast?
That would seem like the obvious solution.

Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)
<<<< PC-NFS (*not* PC/NFS)is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems >>>>
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamed of
in your philosophy" - and every one of them requires an IP address...

Ken_C_Neubauer@cup.portal.com (06/28/90)

>We have a number of PC's running Novell, which have Novell
>supplied Ethernet cards. We wish to keep the cards, and
>move the PC's over to a TCP/IP network running PC-NFS.
>
>I have been told that the Novell cards can't run under
>PC-NFS, due to the lack of a driver. Is a driver available
>that would allow the cards to work under PC-NFS?
>
>The card board number (BD #) is 738-160-001 Rev C.
>
>Thanks for the help,
>
>Andrew McRae

You do not have a very good Novell salesman. Unless you are hung-
up on Sun's PC-NFS, a better solution may be Novell's TCP/IP product,
and along with that you can add the NFS software ontop of Novell's
TCP/IP.

If you are interested here are the details;

Wyle Laboratories
(408)727-2500
(They are a distributor for Novell products)

Lan Workplace for DOS	9870094-00	$263.00
TCP/IP			9870093-00	$ 94.00

Beame & Whiteside Software
(416)648-6556	{Note that this is in Canada)

BWNFS-Excelan				$200.00

I think you will find this combination a suitable replacement for
Sun's PC-NFS. The Novell products are also available for OS/2, but
Beame & Whiteside have no present plans of porting their NFS to OS/2,
but then I doubt that Sun has any plans of porting PC-NFS to OS/2 either!
It is a little more expensive then Sun's PS-NFS $395 compared to $557,
but it is less memory entensive and MUCH easier to install

Ken Neubauer

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with either Novell/Wyle or Beame &
	Whiteside, I am only passing on my experiences with the
	above products and also 3 years of experience with Sun's PC-NFS.

marty@puppsrPrinceton.EDU (Marty Ryba) (06/29/90)

In article <2111@east.East.Sun.COM>, geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff
Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:

> Does anyone know of a packet driver or an NDIS driver for this beast?
> That would seem like the obvious solution.

Is there a working packet driver interface for PC-NFS???  I've tried the
packet drivers in drivers.arc on sun.soe.clarkson.edu along with pktd.sys
with both a 3c501 and a WD8003E card.  PC-NFS does not seem to be receiving
any packets when it starts up.  I'd like to get this working since the telnet
with PC-NFS sucks eggs, and the NFS-A version of CUTE I have seems to have
some annoying bugs that crash the system periodically.  I'm not sure who/what
to blame, but I feel that packet driver is the natural answer.

Since pktd.sys exists I assume someone's got it working...I've had no luck
though.  The packet driver seems to install correctly.  Any ideas/answers?
I'm running PC-NFS version 3.0.1 on a Dell 386/20, MS-DOS v. 3.30

Marty Ryba                      | slave physics grad student
Princeton University            | They don't care if I exist,
Pulsars   Unlimited             | let alone what my opinions are!
marty@pulsar.princeton.edu      | Asbestos gloves always on when reading mail

engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) (06/29/90)

In article <994@idunno.Princeton.EDU> marty@puppsrPrinceton.EDU (Marty Ryba) writes:

>Is there a working packet driver interface for PC-NFS???  I've tried the
>packet drivers in drivers.arc on sun.soe.clarkson.edu along with pktd.sys
>with both a 3c501 and a WD8003E card.  PC-NFS does not seem to be receiving
>any packets when it starts up.

   I've had the same sort of bad luck with 6.x packet drivers, WD8003E, and
pktd.sys, but I have been able to get this working with an older version of
the packet drivers (3.x I believe circa Aug. 89).

>Since pktd.sys exists I assume someone's got it working...

   It does work with older packet drivers.  Has angbody out there got
PC-NFS working with 6.x packet drivers is what I'd like to know.

>Marty Ryba                      | slave physics grad student
>Princeton University            | They don't care if I exist,
>Pulsars   Unlimited             | let alone what my opinions are!
>marty@pulsar.princeton.edu      | Asbestos gloves always on when reading mail

+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|  R. Engwall             | Q: Why am I banging my head against the wall? |
|  engwall@mtha.usc.edu   | A: Because it feels *so* good when I stop.    |
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (06/29/90)

Quoth marty@puppsrPrinceton.EDU (Marty Ryba) (in <994@idunno.Princeton.EDU>):
#Is there a working packet driver interface for PC-NFS???  I've tried the
#packet drivers in drivers.arc on sun.soe.clarkson.edu along with pktd.sys
#with both a 3c501 and a WD8003E card.  PC-NFS does not seem to be receiving
#any packets when it starts up.  I'd like to get this working since the telnet
#with PC-NFS sucks eggs, and the NFS-A version of CUTE I have seems to have
#some annoying bugs that crash the system periodically.  I'm not sure who/what
#to blame, but I feel that packet driver is the natural answer.

There was a problem with one version of the pktd.sys driver which I
posted to Clarkson, and I've recently posted a new copy - I haven't had
a chance to see if Russ has put it up yet.  The new one is part of the
"PC-NFS compatibility kit" which includes both Packet and NDIS
drivers.

The packet driver is not an answer to the problem of running a packet
driver version of CUTE with PC-NFS though. As has been tossed around
several times in this group, it is pretty much impossible to run two
TCP/IP stacks in the same system - who do you deliver ARP or ICMP
traffic to, for example? PKTD.SYS has to grab all IP and ARP/RARP
packets, so you couldn't run a packet driver version of CUTE with it.

The real answer is to fix the bugs in the PC-NFS version of CUTE.
Stay tuned.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (06/29/90)

In article <994@idunno.Princeton.EDU> marty@puppsrPrinceton.EDU (Marty Ryba) writes:
>Is there a working packet driver interface for PC-NFS???  I've tried the
>packet drivers in drivers.arc on sun.soe.clarkson.edu along with pktd.sys
>with both a 3c501 and a WD8003E card.  PC-NFS does not seem to be receiving
>any packets when it starts up.  I'd like to get this working since the telnet

The original pktd.sys code from Geoff had a bug. If the hardware source
address that pktd.sys sends out is all 0's, the you've got the old code
(and it won't work).

Take a look at pktd.asm. It makes a call to the packet driver to get the
ethernet card info. You need to set two registers before you make the
call, Geoff's code only sets one. When the call is made, no error returns,
just all 0's for the address. Adding code to set the second register before
the call fixes the problem.

Sorry for not being more precise, I'm sending this from home and don't have
the info here. Check the FTP Packet Driver spec. for the name of the call.

I sent the fix to Geoff and I know he posted it at least once on the net.
Russ may still have the old code at Clarkson.

PC-NFS works fine on the Packet Driver with this fix, I have it running on
AT&T Stalan10 and 3Com ELKII cards at a bunch of sites in the country.