[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] wanted: printer redirector that works still under windows 3.0

NEUMANN%AWIWUW11@WUW.WU-Wien.AC.AT (Gustaf Neumann) (07/03/90)

Our setup:
   several PCs hooked to an ethernet via packet drivers
   + several unix machines as 'disk and print servers'

Our problem:
   PC-NFS and MD-DOS (Univ. of Maryland TCP/IP) work as a charm as long
   MS Windows 3.0 is not involved. Both packages allow to assign the
   printerports of the PCs (eg lpt1) to eg Unix's lpd spool queues.

   Under Windows 3.0 the redirection of the printers ports is not
   recognized anymore (we found no setup such one could print under eg.
   MS-Word to lpt1). We can print to a file, switch to a dos window and
   print the file from there using COPY SPOOLFILE LPTx, which is not
   exactly what we want.

Windows 3.0 allows to configure the printerports for several networks
(IBM PC Lan, MS-Net, Bayan...). It has also a PrintManager that allows
to inspect print queues in the network (we have the PrintManager
deactivated). If a file is printed to say LPT1, Windows 3.0 comes up
with a message like 'No printer connected to LPT1; please check your
installation'. Under Windows 2.x printer redirection was slow
(characterwise handshake?) but it worked.

Any ideas? Fixes?? Patches????

For the people looking for a netwatch over packet drivers:
   Univ. of Maryland TCP/IP works with packet drivers
   (packet driver interface available from umd5.umd.edu in directory
   pub/pc/dosip) and has a NETWATCH.

   Univ. of Maryland TCP/IP has also NFS, telnet, TN3270, pop-mail,
   and many other neat features. I wish its NFS would eat less memory...

-gustaf

Gustaf Neumann		neumann@dec4.wu-wien.ac.at, neumann@awiwuw11.bitnet
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Augasse 2-6,  A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 (222) 347-541 x533 (9-18 CET) 	Fax 347-555

freiss@nixpbe.UUCP (the hacker) (07/04/90)

In <9007021931.aa07944@louie.udel.edu> NEUMANN%AWIWUW11@WUW.WU-Wien.AC.AT (Gustaf Neumann) writes:

>Our problem:
>   PC-NFS and MD-DOS (Univ. of Maryland TCP/IP) work as a charm as long
>   MS Windows 3.0 is not involved. Both packages allow to assign the
>   printerports of the PCs (eg lpt1) to eg Unix's lpd spool queues.
>   Under Windows 3.0 the redirection of the printers ports is not
>   recognized anymore (we found no setup such one could print under eg.
>   MS-Word to lpt1).

I'll post this, since I believe many are wondering why printer redirection
(not only NFS, but *any* printer redirection not directly configurable
from inside Windows) doesn't work.
I was bitten by this myself some days ago when a printer redirector
I wrote failed to operate under Windows 3.0.
The solution:

Win 3.0 writes directly to the printer port hardware (do not pass
Interrupt 17h, do not collect $2000), which of course fails all
redirectors. Validate by attaching a printer to LPT1, redirect LPT1
to your favorite network printer with your favorite redirector
and print something - you will still get your output on the
local printer. Printerport configuration for a network printer
probably causes Windows to issue the appropriate NETBIOS requests,
which is not much help with NFS or custom networking software.

My solution: print to file and choose the filename lpt?, with
? being a number between 1 to 3 :-). DOS recognizes this as a device
and routes the characters to be printed via Int 17 where a redirector
can grab them.

Rather a quick and dirty solution, but as far as I know the only
way to do it.

Hope this helped.
-Martin

--
 Martin Freiss        internet:  freiss.pad@nixdorf.com
 Nixdorf Computer AG     in europe: ..!unido!nixpbe!freiss.pad

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (07/04/90)

In article <9007021931.aa07944@louie.udel.edu> NEUMANN%AWIWUW11@WUW.WU-Wien.AC.AT (Gustaf Neumann) writes:
>Our setup:
>   several PCs hooked to an ethernet via packet drivers
>   + several unix machines as 'disk and print servers'
>
>Our problem:
>   PC-NFS and MD-DOS (Univ. of Maryland TCP/IP) work as a charm as long
>   MS Windows 3.0 is not involved. Both packages allow to assign the
>   printerports of the PCs (eg lpt1) to eg Unix's lpd spool queues.
>
>   Under Windows 3.0 the redirection of the printers ports is not
>   recognized anymore (we found no setup such one could print under eg.
>   MS-Word to lpt1). We can print to a file, switch to a dos window and
>   print the file from there using COPY SPOOLFILE LPTx, which is not
>   exactly what we want.
>
>Windows 3.0 allows to configure the printerports for several networks
>(IBM PC Lan, MS-Net, Bayan...). It has also a PrintManager that allows
>to inspect print queues in the network (we have the PrintManager
>deactivated). If a file is printed to say LPT1, Windows 3.0 comes up
>with a message like 'No printer connected to LPT1; please check your
>installation'. Under Windows 2.x printer redirection was slow
>(characterwise handshake?) but it worked.
>
>Any ideas? Fixes?? Patches????

>Gustaf Neumann		neumann@dec4.wu-wien.ac.at, neumann@awiwuw11.bitnet
>Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
>Augasse 2-6,  A-1090 Vienna, Austria
>Tel: +43 (222) 347-541 x533 (9-18 CET) 	Fax 347-555

 BWNFS from Beame & Whiteside Software Ltd +1 (416) 648-6556 works correctly
with Windows 3.0 and allows full printer redirection. We are in the process
of writing a Network driver to provide mounting and unmounting capailities.
We have used the MSNET driver to mount drives, but the remote filesystem must
be in upper case. Our NFS takes about 55-60K of memory.

- Carl Beame
  Beame & Whiteside Software LTD.
  Beame@McMaster.CA

peterh@ulrik.uio.no (Peter Hausken) (07/09/90)

>Subject: Re: wanted: printer redirector that works still under windows 3.0
>From: freiss@nixpbe.UUCP (the hacker)
>
>In <9007021931.aa07944@louie.udel.edu> NEUMANN%AWIWUW11@WUW.WU-Wien.AC.AT (Gustaf Neumann) writes:
>
>>Our problem:
>>   PC-NFS and MD-DOS (Univ. of Maryland TCP/IP) work as a charm as long
>>   MS Windows 3.0 is not involved. Both packages allow to assign the
>>   printerports of the PCs (eg lpt1) to eg Unix's lpd spool queues.
>>   Under Windows 3.0 the redirection of the printers ports is not
>>   recognized anymore (we found no setup such one could print under eg.
>>   MS-Word to lpt1).

(deleted)

>My solution: print to file and choose the filename lpt?, with
>? being a number between 1 to 3 :-). DOS recognizes this as a device
>and routes the characters to be printed via Int 17 where a redirector
>can grab them.
>
>Rather a quick and dirty solution, but as far as I know the only
>way to do it.

A more 'clean' sollution is to use LPT1.OS2, LPT2.OS2 and LPT3.OS2
They seems to use the redirector. In PC-NFS you'll have to set the
PRT -T30 *   to make it print after 30 sec. and instead of 5 minutes.
In NFSCONF you use the "print after 5 minutes" option.