[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Telnet, Netware, Packet drivers and RARPing

legg@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) (07/11/90)

  Hello everyone. I'm having a problem that I'm hoping someone may have
come across and tackled before.

  I'm using the NI5210 packet driver, v6.2.1 to access Netware. That
works fine.

  Telnet has been configured to use this packet driver to communicate
with the world. That works fine, provided I hardwire the IP number into
the config.tel. This I would rather not do, but...

  Attempting to use RARPing with the packet driver fails with a

  'Warning, packet driver vector invalid, using default search'

message, with TELNET halting sometime after that with a RARP failed
message.

  Telnet will correctly RARP when I use the hardware directly rather than
through the packet drivers, but of course Telnet then munges Netware.
So, it's not a problem with our nameserver.

  Frustrating, eh? It should work (so I've been told). Is there a more
recent version of the NI5210 driver available? Alternatively, is anyone
out there using the NI5210 packet driver and successfully RARPing? Could
it be that the version of Telnet (2.3b5) doesn't handle RARPing to a
packet driver?

  Thanks in advance for any help that may come my way.

    christian legg

Christian Legg                            **********************************
University Computing Services,            *  This message has been brought *
University of Adelaide, South Australia.  *  to you today by the letters   *
Phone  : (08) 228 5549                    *  B, M and by the number 9      *
Email  : legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au         **********************************

kranenbu@s5.cs.rul.nl (Paul Kranenburg) (07/12/90)

In article <1137@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> legg@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) writes:

>  Attempting to use RARPing with the packet driver fails with a
>
>  'Warning, packet driver vector invalid, using default search'
>
>message, with TELNET halting sometime after that with a RARP failed
>message.

The RARP packet type needs to be registered with the packet driver.
You need to add code like this to ./enet/packet.c:

------------------------------
In function pketopen:

   if((rarp_handle = pkt_access_type(address,IT_ANY,0,rarptype,sizeof(rarptype),pkt_receiver)) == -1) {
        sprintf(buff,"Can't Access RARP handle\n\r");
        vprint(console->vs,buff);
        pkt_release_type(ip_handle);
        pkt_release_type(arp_handle);
        return(-1);
   }

In function pketclose:

   if(!slip_mode) {
           pkt_release_type(arp_handle);
           pkt_release_type(rarp_handle);
   }

where:
    static char rarptype[]={0x80,0x35};

--Paul Kranenburg, Dept. C. Sc., Leiden, NL.