[net.micro] Any good mags. left?

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (03/07/85)

> From: ix255@sdcc6.UUCP (John Antypas @ UC San Diego)

> Now with the coming death of C&E (after the death of S100 MS), is there
> any good mag. left for micro users.  I have tried the following and
> while they are nice occasionally, I find they don't provide the kind
> of information say that S100 or the OLD Byte used to provide:

  . . .

> Where have all the good ones gone?

> John Antypas
> UC San Diego
>
> uucp: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,noscvax}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix255
> arpa: sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix255@{Nosc,Berkeley}

From the list you provided, it looks like you're an Apple person.  In that
case, there really ARE no good ones left.  A+ is fluff and useless information.
Nibble has neat things occasionally, but I'm rarely interested in their regular
monthly fare.  InCider is okay, but just barely. (If they don't stop mailing
me packets asking me to susbscribe, the rating goes down to "joke" too.)  The
only Apple-oriented magazine I read and enjoy with any regularity since
Softalk died is Hardcore COMPUTIST, but even that is pretty limited, with a
focus on removing copy-protection from commercial software.

Who publishes MacWorld?  That seems to be an interesting magazine, or maybe
it's just my lust for the Mac that makes it look good.  I wouldn't mind an
Apple //-series specific magazine in that style.

		.rne.

-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
-----
[The following is in Rot13 and is pretty appropriate -- I found it on a BBS]

"Gur crepragntr bs Nccyr bjaref jub hfr gurve pbcl cebtenzf 'rkpyhfviryl gb znxr
nepuviny pbcvrf bs gurve fbsgjner' vf nccebkvzngryl gur fnzr nf gur crepragntr
bs jbzra jub hfr gurve ivoengbef nf 'snpvny znffntref', juvpu vf gb fnl, abg n
ybg."
		/\/bb\/\  Pbhag Avooyr  /\/bb\/\

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (03/11/85)

I subscribe to 2 good mags.  One of which I just found and am pleasently
surprised.  First is Dr. Dobbs of course.....

The other is 68 Micro Journal.  It reminds me a lot of Dr. Dobbs about
5 years ago.  No slick pages (they do have a slick cover), looks like it was
mimeographed, etc.  They mostly cover 6809 systems running flex or os-9.
But are starting to do more with 68K systems.  There's been Mac articles in
both the issues I've seen.  And they're of course covering os-9/68K.
And they have hardware articles too.

I just wish they wouldn't cover flex so heavily....but thats just
there for Historical Reasons.
--
:- David Herron							  -:

	"The home of poly-unsaturated thinking".