[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SU-PC/IP

cjdb@midway.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (07/15/90)

In article <1990Jul7.035507.23173@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> ernie@po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>[...]
>While on the subject of SU-PC/IP, I'll point out that it has a decent
>implementation of MH using POP, which allows secure mail handling on
>a PC.  It also has FTP and the venerable PCIP Telnet, and BOOTP support.
>We have added a Packet Driver interface, though this is not part of
>the standard distribution.  I'm not sure what the current distribution
>policy is, but Stanford previously sold academic site licenses for $100.

My experience with this product is that it inevitably hangs the
machine if you use it long enough in a session (both its ftp and
telnet implementations). Others at the University of Chicago have had
this experience (disclaimer: I am not speaking as a representative of
the University, but as an end-user only). Too bad, because mh is my
regular mailer, and I would like to use it on the PC as well (an AST
Premium 386). I should point out that Stanford's documentation says
that one shouldn't run their product with any TSR's in memory -- in
this day and age that's an unreasonable requirement.

I've switched to FTP's product, and like it, with the following
exceptions: I wish smtpsrv was implemented as a TSR, so I wouldn't
have to run it at night to get all the day's mail, and I wish it
didn't grab the keyboard interrupt so thoroughly that my CapsLock -->
Ctrl redefinition was disabled (I use a well-behaved hook to do this).
But so far it certainly seems to be a robust enough product.

--
Bitnet:                 pmrcjdb@uchimvs1
Internet:       cjdb@midway.uchicago.edu

ernie@cwlim.CWRU.EDU (Ernie L. Ellenberger) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul15.064627.17824@midway.uchicago.edu> cjdb@midway.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:
>>[SU-PC/IP info...]
>>
>My experience with this product is that it inevitably hangs the
>machine if you use it long enough in a session (both its ftp and
>telnet implementations). Others at the University of Chicago have had
>this experience (disclaimer: I am not speaking as a representative of
>the University, but as an end-user only).

SU-PC/IP's well-known lock up problem seems to have been cured by
the replacement of Stanford's Ethernet driver with a packet driver
interface. I used it all last week to program a UNIX box and had
no hang ups. This morning I set up a PC with Telnet reading an
infinite loop of cat jobs and sleeps; it's been running for eight
hours so far. There were also some questionable operations in the
SU-PC/IP code that we fixed, e.g. unlinking a file before closing it (ftp)
and failing to set binary mode in a write to the configuration device
driver (mh).

> I should point out that Stanford's documentation says
>that one shouldn't run their product with any TSR's in memory -- in
>this day and age that's an unreasonable requirement.

I would say that _no_ TSR's is either overprotective or a requirement
of the original Ethernet driver. I'm able to run the TSR's I normally
use -- ced, filec, ipx/net3, and of course packet drivers -- but there
probably are many TSR's that don't coexist. Loading order is often
important with TSR's; TCPIP loads and unloads fine when loaded _after_
Novell drivers, but hangs the system if it's given an unload command
after being loaded _before_ Novell. (there's gotta be some way to turn
that into a Feature...) This is rather obscure and doesn't happen in
the midst of a Telnet or FTP session, however.

-Ernie	    (ernie@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu)
#include <std-long-legal-disclaimer.zzz>