[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] EMAIL for IBM PC's - SMTP Ethernet service

karl@naitc.uucp (Karl Denninger) (07/17/90)

We're looking for a PC-based SMTP Email package for MSDOS.

Requirements:
1)	Must coexist with PC/NFS or something similar (we're willing
	to look at other packages for file service as well).

2)	Should allow for keeping of the mail on the SERVER.  We definately
	do not want each PC to have a local copy of the email!

3)	Can either use a "daemon pickup" type of outgoing mail capability
	(where the client puts the mail in an "outbox" and a daemon
	processes it for delivery), or a direct SMTP connection to the
	server.  Either is acceptable.

4)	Must be full-screen and "windowey".  No line-oriented packages need
	apply.

5)	Must co-exist with Unix accounts on the same machine; that is,
	if can't "steal" email from existing Unix accounts unless the user
	specifies so (or an administrator does).

6)	Should be reasonable to acquire; we're looking at perhaps 100 copies
	or more, and if it's too expensive I'll just write it myself!

7)	Should not be a TSR.  It >is< acceptable for the client to read
	the mail off a net USE'd drive; in fact, that may be preferrable.
	For outgoing transmission an SMTP connection would appear to be
	ideal.

8)	Ease of use is a must; folder support and the like is a big plus.

Commercial and free packages welcome.  If we can't find one, we'll have to
write it from scratch.  Whatever is recommended has to be usable in a
commercial environment; we definately will be doing that.

Thanks in advance!

--
Karl Denninger
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul16.204030.4818@naitc.uucp>, karl@naitc.uucp (Karl Denninger) writes:
> We're looking for a PC-based SMTP Email package for MSDOS.
>
> Requirements:
> 1)	Must coexist with PC/NFS or something similar (we're willing
> 	to look at other packages for file service as well).

We run PC/NFS in our department.  Our PCs use an implementation of the
POP (*P*ost *O*ffice *P*rotocol) to send and receive mail.  The PC client
program is called Lifeline Mail, and it may come with PC/NFS (I'm not sure
on this point).

> 2)	Should allow for keeping of the mail on the SERVER.  We definately
> 	do not want each PC to have a local copy of the email!

Mail is stored on the server machine and can be picked up from any
machine in the office.

> 3)	Can either use a "daemon pickup" type of outgoing mail capability
> 	(where the client puts the mail in an "outbox" and a daemon
> 	processes it for delivery), or a direct SMTP connection to the
> 	server.  Either is acceptable.

A POP client will connect to a POP server when the mail is sent for
delivery.  When it reaches a POP server, it is fed into the normal
mailing program (SENDMAIL in our case.)

> 4)	Must be full-screen and "windowey".  No line-oriented packages need
> 	apply.

The are many client implementations of POP.  I'm sure you can find one to
meet your needs.

> 5)	Must co-exist with Unix accounts on the same machine; that is,
> 	if can't "steal" email from existing Unix accounts unless the user
> 	specifies so (or an administrator does).

In our implementation, the user does have an account on the Unix box.
When the POP client makes a connection with the server, all mail in the
Unix mailbox is transfered to the PC and then deleted from the UNIX box.
You may be able to change this.

> 6)	Should be reasonable to acquire; we're looking at perhaps 100 copies
> 	or more, and if it's too expensive I'll just write it myself!

POP itself is an RFC (can't remember the number right now).  There are many
commercial and free distributions of the client programs.  You can find them
for PCs, MACs, and just about any other kind of computer.

> 7)	Should not be a TSR.  It >is< acceptable for the client to read
> 	the mail off a net USE'd drive; in fact, that may be preferrable.
> 	For outgoing transmission an SMTP connection would appear to be
> 	ideal.

It is not a TSR.  The mail is received and sent while the client program
is running.  (A daemon always runs on the server.)

> 8)	Ease of use is a must; folder support and the like is a big plus.

This depends on what implementation you choose.

> Commercial and free packages welcome.  If we can't find one, we'll have to
> write it from scratch.  Whatever is recommended has to be usable in a
> commercial environment; we definately will be doing that.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I would say definitely don't write something from scratch.  POP works
really well for us.  I apologize that I don't have a listing of software
or FTP sites that have POP clients, but they should be rather easy to
find.

Good luck!

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #4:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
215 Foxfire Dr #308           csh> \(-            murrayp@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (07/19/90)

    From: Peter Murray <usc!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu!ohstpy!miavx1!pemurray@ucsd.edu>
    Subject: Re: EMAIL for IBM PC's - SMTP Ethernet service

    POP itself is an RFC (can't remember the number right now).  There are
    many commercial and free distributions of the client programs.  You can
    find them for PCs, MACs, and just about any other kind of computer.

The subject of supported, commercial POP{2,3} servers is of some
concern to us, because our next major release will include a PCMAIL
(RFC 1056) client, and a mail reader which will also fall back to
POP/SMTP.  As far as I know, there aren't any supported PCMAIL servers
(there are at least two OS/2 clients right now, ours and Essex Systems').
I only know of two supported POP2 (RFC 937) servers - Sun's and IBM's,
each of which is provided for use with the vendor's DOS client.  I don't
know of any supported POP3 (RFC 1081,82) servers.

If there are commercial, supported servers (POP2, POP3, IMAP or PCMAIL)
I haven't mentioned, please let me know by direct e-mail (I'll post a
summary if needed).  The 4bsd freeware servers won't suit everyone...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

jlk@siesoft.co.uk (Jim Kissel) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul16.204030.4818@naitc.uucp> kdenning@nis.naitc.com writes:

>We're looking for a PC-based SMTP Email package for MSDOS.
>
>Requirements:
>1)	Must coexist with PC/NFS or something similar (we're willing
>	to look at other packages for file service as well).

EPS, Siemens' Electronic Postal Services co-exists with PC/NFS from SUN, or
with DFS, Siemens' own implementation of NFS for MS-DOS

>2)	Should allow for keeping of the mail on the SERVER.  We definately
>	do not want each PC to have a local copy of the email!

All mail remains on the server.  EPS is a distributed application with the
presentation handled by the PC, and the storage maintained by the server (Unix)

>3)	Can either use a "daemon pickup" type of outgoing mail capability
>	(where the client puts the mail in an "outbox" and a daemon
>	processes it for delivery), or a direct SMTP connection to the
>	server.  Either is acceptable.

EPS interfaces directly to SMTP.  EPS has no knowledge of addresses and uses
sendmail to sort out all routing.  Incomming mail is delivered to the server,
and when you log in the server, the headers are down loaded to the pc.  When
you request to read a message, then and only then is the message copied
to the PC.  Any pc can log in the the server.  Any number of users can
use the same pc (but not at the same time)

>4)	Must be full-screen and "windowey".  No line-oriented packages need
>	apply.

EPS is a windows 2.1 based application. Windows 3.0 will be supported shortly.

>5)	Must co-exist with Unix accounts on the same machine; that is,
>	if can't "steal" email from existing Unix accounts unless the user
>	specifies so (or an administrator does).

EPS cannot steal anything.  You need only to change the Unix mail aliases file
to direct mail to you EPS account.  You can also have it delivered to both
a EPS account and the standard /user/spool/mail/user-name.

>6)	Should be reasonable to acquire; we're looking at perhaps 100 copies
>	or more, and if it's too expensive I'll just write it myself!

For commercial terms contact Hr. Schmid-Heizer
				Siemens Ag
				Otto Han Ring 6, D-8000
				Munich, 83, Germany
		phone	+49 89 636 49021
		fax	+49 89 636 41208

for technical info contact either myself jlk@siesoft.co.uk
or Gordon Michael gordon@siesoft.co.uk

>7)	Should not be a TSR.  It >is< acceptable for the client to read
>	the mail off a net USE'd drive; in fact, that may be preferrable.
>	For outgoing transmission an SMTP connection would appear to be
>	ideal.

EPS is not a TSR.  It is an MS-Windows application.

>8)	Ease of use is a must; folder support and the like is a big plus.

EPS contains the usual point and click interface of MS-Windows.  There is
both a user and system wide address book.  binaries can be attached (uuencoded)

>Commercial and free packages welcome.  If we can't find one, we'll have to
>write it from scratch.  Whatever is recommended has to be usable in a
>commercial environment; we definately will be doing that.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>--
>Karl Denninger
>kdenning@ksun.naitc.com
>(708) 317-3285

Jim Kissel                            Telephone +44 344 863 222
Siemens plc                                         344 850 461 (Direct line)
Systems Development Group             Fax       +44 344 850 452
c/o Nixdorf                           Telex      846053 SIESOF G
Nixdorf House                         Domain     jlk@siesoft.co.uk
Oldbury, Bracknell, Berkshire                    j.kissel@xopen.co.uk
RG12 4FZ  Great Britain               UUCP       ....{ukc,athen}!siesoft!jlk