[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Netbios packet driver help needed.

daniels@cat22.cs.wisc.edu (Daniel Schneidewend) (07/20/90)

I have tried to use the nb.com packet driver to run over
netbios.  The driver loads, but none of the packet driver
software (nos, ncsa, pcroute ...) will work with it.
I have tried every place I can find to get a different
version of nb.com, but all I came up with is the one that
says it's version 3.  If anybody has a working installation
using nb.com please let me know your configuration .

				Thanks
				Dan Schneidwend
				daniels@cat22.cs.wisc.edu

stu@gtisqr.uucp (Stu Donaldson) (07/25/90)

In article <4988@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> daniels@cat22.cs.wisc.edu writes:
>I have tried to use the nb.com packet driver to run over
>netbios.  The driver loads, but none of the packet driver
>software (nos, ncsa, pcroute ...) will work with it.

What are you trying to do with it?

I was under the impression that the netbios packet driver
allowed you to hide IP packets within netbios packets.  The
result would be you could send IP information to a gateway that
could strip off the netbios information and send the IP packet
out again possibly over tcp/ip on ethernet.

What it boils down to, is that you can't take a network card with
a netbios driver on it, put a packet driver on top of that, and
access the tcp/ip network. :-(.

I say all of this with some degree of caution, since I am by no
means an expert in PC networking, and this all fits with what I
found when I tried to solve the above problem on a network I was
installing.

--
Stu Donaldson          UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!stu
Global Technology      ARPA: gtisqr!stu@yang.cpac.washington.edu