[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] How do you get a ENet Addr?

joe@eng3.UUCP (Joe LaRocque) (07/24/90)

I have been given a 'chance to excell' by my boss. Simply put, how do
we go about getting a base EtherNet Address assigned to us? I seem to
recall that PARC is still in charge of these numbers. But, I know that
they have moved to San Diego and I no longer have a name or telephone
number for an individual that I can talk to about this request.

Before I forget....I know that we could get a set of proms from a mfg
who would take care of the problem for us. Our problem is that the new
system we are building requires as few surface mount structures as
possible, so we will be assigning the EtherNet Address via software.

Thanks for your assist!

Joe

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (07/25/90)

In article <488@eng3.UUCP>, joe@eng3.UUCP (Joe LaRocque) writes:
> I have been given a 'chance to excell' by my boss. Simply put, how do
> we go about getting a base EtherNet Address assigned to us? I seem to
> recall that PARC is still in charge of these numbers. But, I know that
> they have moved to San Diego and I no longer have a name or telephone
> number for an individual that I can talk to about this request.
>
> Before I forget....I know that we could get a set of proms from a mfg
> who would take care of the problem for us. Our problem is that the new
> system we are building requires as few surface mount structures as
> possible, so we will be assigning the EtherNet Address via software.

I believe that the IEEE now hand out these numbers, although Xerox still does
the actual work. But I am concerned with the idea that you are planning on
putting out a device which gets it's Ethernet address from software.

I don't have the Ethernet or 802.3 spec handy, but I believe that this is NOT
legal. And, even if it is, it's dangerous. It is critical that all Ethernet
devices have globally unique addresses. The hardware assignment of these
ainsures that there can NEVER be two the same. The portion of the spec allowing
software to reset this address is something I've always objected to, but it is
there.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

montague@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (John Montague) (07/26/90)

In article <488@eng3.UUCP> joe@eng3.UUCPJoe LaRocque writes:
>I have been given a 'chance to excell' by my boss. Simply put, how do
>we go about getting a base EtherNet Address assigned to us? I seem to

By this request I believe you mean "How does one obtain an assignment of a
block of Universal LAN addresses?"  These addresses are assigned by the
IEEE Standards Office, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ  08854-4150; there
is a nominal fee ($1000).

>Before I forget....I know that we could get a set of proms from a mfg
>who would take care of the problem for us. Our problem is that the new
>system we are building requires as few surface mount structures as
>possible, so we will be assigning the EtherNet Address via software.

Universally administered addresses must be uniquely assigned to a single
LAN node.  This normally accomplished by making a permanent address assignment
to a physical assembly in a non-volitile register (NOT battery backed-up RAM).
If you wish to assign addresses through software you should use "locally
administered addresses" which you may choose to be similar to the address
you have permanaently assigned to the hardware, differing only in the
"Address Administration" bit (the second most significant bit in the 48 bit
address: 0= universally administered, 1= locally administered).

Extreem care must be taken to ensure that duplicate addresses NEVER occur on
the network.

John Montague                          W0RUE
Manager, Standards & Architecture
NCR, Network Products Division, St. Paul, MN
john.montague@stpaul.NCR.COM

kevinr@moe.Tandem.COM (Kevin J. Rowett) (07/26/90)

In article <146@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM>, montague@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM
(John Montague) writes:

|> Universally administered addresses must be uniquely assigned to a single

Gosh the "I" in IEEE sure has grown.

I = institue ( as in it ain't a std till I say so)
I = International ( as in globally admin addresses)
I = Interplanetary ( as in universal)

Anyone got the MAC address of the HST?

kevinr@tandem.com
N6RCE