[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] FTP PDriver for WD8013EBT??

raisch@convex.msu.edu (R. Raisch) (07/20/90)

Hi again,  here's today's query:
	Is there an FTPSoft standard PacketDriver for the Western Digital
	WD8013EBT( WD's hiPerformance 16bit EtherCard)?  I have heard
	that the "standard" Clarkson WD8003E.COM will support this card,
	but only in 8bit mode, (and I have yet to see this happen without
	hanging the CPU).    HHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!! ;-)
Thanks for your time.  -raisch
--
Robert Raisch - TechnoJunkie & UnixNut| UseNet: {uunet,mailrus}!frith!raisch
Control Technology Corporation        | InterNet: raisch@frith.egr.msu.edu

mrichey@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (07/29/90)

In article <1990Jul20.152907.23100@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> raisch@convex.msu.edu (R. Raisch) writes:
>Hi again,  here's today's query:
>	Is there an FTPSoft standard PacketDriver for the Western Digital
>	WD8013EBT( WD's hiPerformance 16bit EtherCard)?  I have heard
>	that the "standard" Clarkson WD8003E.COM will support this card,
>	but only in 8bit mode, (and I have yet to see this happen without
>	hanging the CPU).    HHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!! ;-)
>Thanks for your time.  -raisch
>--

There is not one specifically fo the 8013. I have set up this  card on various
novell networks without much trouble. In fact on one node I used interrupt 15
because that was the way the original ipx was shgen'd. This would indicate that
the card and driver at least recognizes the upper 8 bit slot as far as the
hardware interrupts go.

One thing to check is to make sure that the parameters you're using on
the wd8003.com  are correct. I have experienced three times that entering
ipx i   at the DOS prompt did not report the correct information.

At two site I installed the packet driver, it was necessary to run the
diagnose program that comes with the diagnostics diskette.

Be sure that the software controlled memory address you select for the packet
driver does not conflict with anything else, such as a vga card. The problem
you describe (hanging the cpu, I bet you have to hard resetor power cycle the
pc) is indicitive of a memory conflict.

There may be something you're loadin in your config.sys that is conflicting
with the packet driver as well. Try booting up the pc with a lean autoexec
and config.sys.

Hope this helps.

Michael S. Richey    Internet: mrichey@orion.oac.uci.edu
Bitnet: MRichey@UCI  CompuServe: 71650,3132    Voice: (714) 856-8374
University of California, Irvine    Network and Telecommunications Services
342 Computer Science      Irvine,   CA  92717