[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Problems with WD Ethercard Plus/A

GTIMMER@DOSUNI1.BITNET (Gerald Timmer) (07/31/90)

We want to use a PS/2 Model 80 with a WD Ethercard Plus/A and NCSA
Telnet Ver. 2.2C. But it turned out that we were unable to get
the card running with the WD8003E Packet Driver ( Ver. 1.08 ).
Tests showed, that the card ( or the driver ) isn't able to receive
any packets from the net. We also tried PC/TCP from FTP inc. Ver. 2.04
but the behaviour was nearly the same. Has anyone else ever had such a
problems.

                                      Many thanks in advance
                                          Gerald Timmer

+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|   Dr. Gerald Timmer             |    gtimmer@dosuni1.bitnet        |
|   Uni Osnabrueck                |    gtimmer@unios.uucp            |
|   Rechenzentrum                 |                                  |
|   Postfach 4469                 |                                  |
|   D-4500 Osnabrueck             |    Wi kuehd op platt !!!         |
|   Tel. 049-(0)541-608-2336      |                                  |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (07/31/90)

    From: Gerald Timmer <GTIMMER%DOSUNI1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
    Subject:      Problems with WD Ethercard Plus/A (mca)

    We want to use a PS/2 Model 80 with a WD Ethercard Plus/A and NCSA
    ..... We also tried PC/TCP from FTP inc. Ver. 2.04
    but the behaviour was nearly the same.

You don't say if you were using our ETHDRV (packet driver) kernel or
the WD8003 (linked-in driver) kernel.  If the former, I would expect
that we would have the same trouble as NCSA.  If the latter, with
"2.04 pl 1" we added support for some new WD MCA cards that needed
a new bit set during initialization.  If you don't set it, it looks
like the card initialized ok, but it doesn't work.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901