[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA Telnet, PC-NFS and Packet Drivers

was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) (07/31/90)

I am using PC-NFS 3.0.1 with a 3C503 board using the packet driver
"glue" PKTD.SYS out of compat.tar.Z from clarkson.  I changed the
jumpers on the board to use shared memory and installed the packet
driver 3C503.COM from drivers.  PC-NFS works just fine.  However,
NCSA telnet works but is hanging PC-NFS after exitting from telnet.
I have set CONFIG.TEL to use the hardware option of 3C503.  This
implies it is using the hardware directly and leaving it in a funny
state.

The other option in CONFIG.TEL is to specify hardware=packet.
I get the following messages:

	NCSA Telnet 2.3b8, reading configuration file . . .
	Marning, packet driver vector invalid, using default search
	Packet Access Type Error 10

	Can't Access IP handle interface type 1
	Packet driver probably not loaded

	Packet Access Type Error 10

	Can't Access IP handle interface type 1
	Packet driver probably not loaded

	Board initialisation failed!  Error code=2
	Error initialising network or getting configuration file
	Cannot initialise board.

The essential bits of my autoexec.bat are:

	3C503 0x60 3 0x300 0

and my config.sys:

	device=pcnfs.sys
	device=sockdrv.sys
	device=pktd.sys

Has anyone any ideas on this?  Does documentation exist for NCSA
Telnet 2.3b8 yet?  Will Sun be releasing a version of PC-NFS which
will allow third party telnets (and other goodies) to sit on top
their drivers?

Warren Stokes
Geelong Water Board, Australia.
was@gdwb.OZ.AU

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (07/31/90)

The packet driver doesn't support more than one application per packet type
at a time.  PCNFS is using packet the packet type IP (also ARP, RARP, maybe
others) and telnet is also trying to use the IP packet type.  The packet
driver was not designed to do this.  NetWare and telnet work together
because they each use differecnt packet types.

marty@puppsrPrinceton.EDU (Marty Ryba) (07/31/90)

In article <ssw.649434439@cica>, ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve
Wallace) writes:
> The packet driver doesn't support more than one application per packet type
> at a time.  PCNFS is using packet the packet type IP (also ARP, RARP, maybe
> others) and telnet is also trying to use the IP packet type.  The packet
> driver was not designed to do this.  NetWare and telnet work together
> because they each use differecnt packet types.

Therefore you must use CUTCP/NFS-A (alpha version, but works pretty well)
from Clarkson U.  It runs CUTE (the Clarkson adaptation of the NCSA code)
on top of the PC-NFS kernal.  You may still want to use pktd.sys and a
version 5 packet driver; I've had better luck (so far) with it over the
PC-NFS distributed interface drivers.  BTW, does anyone have the pktd.sys
that works with version 6.0 packet drivers available for anonymous FTP?
Last I checked, the old pktd.sys was still the only one on the Clarkson
servers.

Marty Ryba                      | slave physics grad student
Princeton University            | They don't care if I exist,
Pulsars   Unlimited             | let alone what my opinions are!
marty@pulsar.princeton.edu      | Asbestos gloves always on when reading mail