[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Questions about SOS...Stan you there?

upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) (07/30/90)

Hello, world.

I've recently attempted to use SOS (Stan's Own Server - a PC based NFS server)
on my PS/2 Model 70.  I found a version pre-compiled to use the packet drivers	somewhere (offhand I don't remember where).  Anyway, I tried it.  I ran the 	software and exported two directories on my PS/2 (one of which was a NetWare	drive).  Then I went to my friendly Unix box running HP-UX 7.0 and mounted the
file systems.

Well, it seemed to work.  I was able to do an "ls" on the drives and everything
looked honky-dory.  However when I looked at a file on the PS/2 (using vi, cat,
more, ...) I was only able to get about 80 to 100 bytes, where upon cat, vi, etc
ended as if it had seen end-of-file.

Then I tried to copy over a big file.  /etc/hosts would do (~200k).  I got some
error message back saying something to the effect that the cp was incomplete.
So I looked at the remote file.  Well, exactly 0 bytes were transfered.  So
I tried to remove the file.  This time I got "unable to remove the file, unknown
error".

From my naive view point it looks like SOS is not working.  I tried doing this
to the PS/2's local drive and to the PS/2's NetWare drive, both had the same
results.  Has anyone had any successes with SOS?  If so I'd like to know what
things are different about your configuration.  This package seems far to
usefull for the author to have left such a blatant bug in the code.  Perhaps
it's a problem with the packet drivers.

This piece of software may prove to be of great importance to me.  Any and all
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
- Mark.

P.S.	!!!!!!ATTENTION!!!!! Please Please Please do not respond to the account
	from which this article was posted.  Instead respond to:
		mark.horn@mail.admin.wisc.edu
	Thanks.

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley/1000000) (08/01/90)

In article <5002@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> mark.horn@mail.admin.wisc.edu writes:
>Hello, world.
>
>I've recently attempted to use SOS (Stan's Own Server - a PC based NFS server)

Would someone please tell me where I can get this?  I've looked around and
can't seem to find any references to it elsewhere.  FTP is fine.

  Thanks in advance,

   Brian

---
brian@cimage.com