[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] DOS <--> UNIX Networking

71320.3346@CompuServe.COM (Preston Durrer) (08/05/90)

I'm havings problems finding the product(s) required to meet my specs for a
network of IBM PC's and a UNIX system.  I'm hoping someone here might be of
help.  The UNIX system is a '386 system currently running Xenix, though I
will upgrade to SCO UNIX if this is part of the solution (I _cannot_ switch
to Interactive).  My requirements are as follows:

Database:  I use the Progress RDBMS.  This product supports DOS clients
accessing UNIX databases using TCP/IP products.  Currently they support LAN
WorkPlace from Excelan and PC/TCP from FTP Software.  Any solution must
co-exist with one of these products.

Virtual Disks:  The DOS system must be able to address the UNIX filesystem
as a virtual DOS drive, transparent to any applications.  I know PC/TCP+
supoorts this through NFS.  Excelan supports this with a product called
Hostshare.

Remote Printing:  I want to be able to redirect DOS printing to the UNIX
system printer.  This would ideally be transparent also (e.g. even a
"PrtSc" would work).  This qualification is the one that's giving me a real
problem.  PC/TCP supports remote printing (I don't know how transparanet
though) by using the "lpd" daemon.  But SCO Xenix/UNIX use the System V lp
system and thus do not have the lpd daemon.  Hostshare from Excelan
supports remote printing, but I have two problems with this product:  1)
Its requires Xenix-Net on the host side.  I would rather have something
more standard, such as NFS  2)  An Excelan employee told me that since
being aquired by Novell, Excelan is definitely de-emphasizing HostShare. I
don't want to be the owner of an orphan software product.

If anyone here can point me in the right direction, I would be most
grateful.

..................Preston Durrer

jlk@siesoft.co.uk (Jim Kissel) (08/06/90)

In article <"900804163146.71320.3346.EHE69-1"@CompuServe.COM> 71320.3346@CompuServe.COM (Preston Durrer) writes:
>I'm havings problems finding the product(s) required to meet my specs for a
>network of IBM PC's and a UNIX system.
>Virtual Disks:  The DOS system must be able to address the UNIX filesystem
>as a virtual DOS drive, transparent to any applications.  I know PC/TCP+
>supoorts this through NFS.  Excelan supports this with a product called
>Hostshare.

You have at least two options.  One you can get a copy of DFS (MS-DOS)
which is a pc-nfs clone, or you can get a copy of Beame & Whiteside's
I don't know the product name but it is also a pc-nfs clone.  DFS was
specifically engineered for the EXOS-205 card.  DFS also will handle you
remote printing requirements.  You need only specify the Unix command
that you want you LPT1/2/3 to be re-directed and any options if any.

Any technical questions about DFS, please contact me.

Commercial questions to:

Paul Shery
DataGuild
Cheneeham Business Park
Basingstoke RG20 OWD
England
+44 256 817788   FAX +44 245 817732  (sorry no e-mail)

Jim Kissel                            Telephone +44 344 863 222
Siemens plc                                         344 850 461 (Direct line)
Systems Development Group             Fax       +44 344 850 452
c/o Nixdorf                           Telex      846053 SIESOF G
Nixdorf House                         Domain     jlk@siesoft.co.uk
Oldbury, Bracknell, Berkshire                    j.kissel@xopen.co.uk
RG12 4FZ  Great Britain               UUCP       ....{ukc,athen}!siesoft!jlk

fks@VAX.FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (08/06/90)

With our PC/TCP, there are two things you can do about the printing.
One, if the tranparency is not a major concern, you could buy our
PC/LPD and run it on a PC. Two, you could wait for our print
redirector (A print redirector redirects output intended for the
printer ports, mimicking an attached printer.), currently in beta
test, to be released.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880