[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PC based FTP server

nulspace@eng.umd.edu (Michael Chang) (08/07/90)

As the title sort of implies, I'm looking for a PC based FTP server.  If not
this, does someone have/know where I can get source code to a tftp server?
These I know exist; in fact, I think I have a copy of the source code in
print in a book I just bought, bt I don't especially want to input 2500+ lines
of code...

thanks.

nulspace@eng.umd.edu [at work] | Warning: sig is under construction in attempt
nulspace@wam.umd.edu [at play] |  to emulate the rest of the campus: watch out
 U of M, College Park, MD      |  for mud, rocks, cabling, and dead squirrels.

troch@pilot.njin.net (Rod Troch) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug7.035123.17367@eng.umd.edu> nulspace@eng.umd.edu (Michael Chang) writes:

> As the title sort of implies, I'm looking for a PC based FTP server.  If not
> this, does someone have/know where I can get source code to a tftp server?
> These I know exist; in fact, I think I have a copy of the source code in
> print in a book I just bought, bt I don't especially want to input 2500+ lines
> of code...
>
> thanks.
>

> nulspace@eng.umd.edu [at work] | Warning: sig is under construction in attempt
> nulspace@wam.umd.edu [at play] |  to emulate the rest of the campus: watch out
>  U of M, College Park, MD      |  for mud, rocks, cabling, and dead squirrels.

We have this ability (FTP server on a PC) using Sytek's licensed copy
FTP software TCP/IP.  It is one of the many programs that come with
it.  The ftp server even uses the standard unix encryption method for
the password file.  a DOS SET command must be given before the server
is started though, telling it that a password file exists.

It works pretty good.

Rod
--
-----------
If you yell: Rod Troch; Forget it though, I will never hear you!!

merlin@csvax.seas.smu.edu (David Hayes) (08/08/90)

There are two fine packages that we use.  Both are freely available
to educational institutions.  (There may be some restrictions on
other uses.)  They are:

KA9Q:
	Written by Phil Karn, this package was originally developed
	for the world of packet radio.  (KA9Q is the call sign for
	Phil's radio station.)  It also supports several ethernet
	cards, and the FTP, Inc. standard for packet drivers.

	KA9Q provides a single program which si[[supports multiple
	FTP servers, FTP clients, and TELNET clients.  It also
	includes several other network utility/debugging tools,
	similar to Unix ping and traceroute.

	The latest version of KA9Q may be had via anonymous ftp to
	thumper.bellcore.com (128.96.41.1) in the directory
	/pub/ka9q.

NCSA Telnet:
	This program was written by the National Center for Supercomputer
	Applications in order to facilitate access to the NSF
	supercomputer centers.  In a single application, it provides
	multiple TELNET clients and a single FTP server.  It can also respond
	to Unix 'rcp' requests.  There is a separate client for the
	Berkeley 'lpr' system, and an FTP client.  Several popular
	ethernet cards are supported directly, as well as the FTP
	packet driver specification.

	NCSA Telnet can be had by anonymous FTP to ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
	(128.174.20.50) in the directory /NCSA_Telnet.

Both of these programs are fine pieces of software, available under very
easy terms, and can be had in source code form.  We use both at
SMU, and have had no trouble with either one.

	David Hayes, Manager of Computer Operations
	SMU School of Engineering & Applied Science
David Hayes	School of Engineering	Southern Methodist University
merlin@smu.edu	uunet!smu!merlin
"Here's a test to see if your job here on Earth is finished:  If you're
still here, it isn't."  -- Richard Bach, _Illusions_

In article <1990Aug7.035123.17367@eng.umd.edu> nulspace@eng.umd.edu (Michael Chang) writes:

   As the title sort of implies, I'm looking for a PC based FTP
   server.

Since you're at an educational institution, you can use Phil Karn
(KA9Q)'s networking package.  You can FTP a copy from
	thumper.bellcore.com:/pub/ka9q/nos/src.arc

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
We won the cold war.  The Russians spent trillions defending their stuff,

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (08/09/90)

    We have this ability (FTP server on a PC) using Sytek's licensed copy
    FTP software TCP/IP....  The ftp server even uses the standard unix
    encryption method for the password file...

This isn't strictly true - we use the Unix password file *format*, but
we didn't dare to use Unix encryption on the password itself, lest our
product get hit with U.S. export restrictions...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

ljm@OBELIX.TWG.COM (08/09/90)

>        To be honest, ka9q, cutcp, and ncsa telnet will do a better job
>amongst the no-cost options. FTP Software Inc and Novell's LAN WorkPlace for
>DOS also work nicely here. I don't have WIN/TCP on my PC but it should also
>work fine. These commercial versions have a kernel which remains resident
>so that background TCP/IP has a chance of functioning (but not at the full
>level of a dedicated FTP server).

Actually, our kernel and background applications (including the FTP server)
obey the time honoured 'we win' DOS scheduling algorithm -- there is
little difference between using our FTP server in foreground and
background mode.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
The Wollongong Group
ljm@twg.com

nestor@NMS.HLS.COM (Nestor Fesas) (08/11/90)

In his response to Michael Chang <nulspace@eng.umd.edu>,  Rod Troch
<njin!troch@rutgers.edu> writes:

>We have this ability (FTP server on a PC) using Sytek's licensed copy
>FTP software TCP/IP.  It is one of the many programs that come with
>it.  The ftp server even uses the standard unix encryption method for
>the password file.  a DOS SET command must be given before the server
>is started though, telling it that a password file exists.
>
>It works pretty good.
>
>Rod

Essentially,  Rod is correct.  However,  I would like to make a few
corrections.  First,  we are no longer Sytek.  We are now Hughes LAN
Systems.  Second,  although passwords are in fact encrypted,  the
algorithm used is not the same as that used in UNIX - as pointed out
by James Van Bokkelen in his recent reply to Michael's e-mail.
Finally,  Rod states that the DOS SET command must be used to inform
the FTPSRV program of the existance of a password file.  In fact,
this step can be taken at boot time by placing a statement like the
following in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file of the computer in question:

    SET PFILE=C:\PROLINC\TCP\PASSWORD.FIL

Nestor