[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Cabletron optical ethernet boards? packet drivers?

junger@CWRU.CWRU.EDU (08/07/90)

	We have optical cables which connect to external cabletron
converters (or whatever they are called) which are in turn connected
by wire to 3Com ethernet boards installed in our PS/2-50s.  For software
we run the Stanford TCP/IP package (which is awfully buggy) and
also ipx.com & net3.com--which we can't get rid once they are invoked--
without booting--of since marknet and relnet will not work on PS/2 50's.

	Now the rumour is that we are going to be supplied with cabletron
optical ethernet boards and packet drivers and will continue using
the Stanford software.

	My question is whether there could be any truth to this
rumor?  Are there optical cabletron boards for PS/2 50s?  If there
are, are there packet drivers for those boards?

Thanks for any information.

Peter D. Junger
CWRU Law School
internet:   JUNGER@CWRU.CWRU.EDU
bitnet:     JUNGER@CWRU

------

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (08/11/90)

In article <9008061603.aa27833@louie.udel.edu> junger@cwru.cwru.edu writes:
>	Now the rumour is that we are going to be supplied with cabletron
>optical ethernet boards and packet drivers and will continue using
>the Stanford software.
>
>	My question is whether there could be any truth to this
>rumor?  Are there optical cabletron boards for PS/2 50s?  If there
>are, are there packet drivers for those boards?
Don't know about the PS/2 boards, but I do know about the ISA boards.  That
rumor that you heard, well I heard it too.  My boss said that we will be
getting the optical cabletron boards, which will have packet drivers to go
with it.  He heard this from Cabletron.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |