[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PC-NFS and DEPCA card?

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (07/26/90)

Hi there.  I am trying to run PC-NFS using a DEC "DEPCA" Ethernet board,
but I am still unable to find a packet driver for the DEPCA.  If anyone
out there is using these DEPCA boards with PC-NFS, I would love to hear
from you.

Thanks,
Thomas Dwyer III                            TOMIII   @ MTUS5.BITNET
Network Programmer                          DWYERIII @ MTUS5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services
Michigan Technological University

bernards@ecn.nl (Marcel Bernards) (07/27/90)

We have about 140 DEPCA's at ECN here, so if there is a packet driver
for the DEPCA : Inform me too ........

--
Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: (+31 /0)2246 4579 FAX: (+31 /0)2246 1864

dhc@lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (08/04/90)

In article <90206.194627TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET>, TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
> Hi there.  I am trying to run PC-NFS using a DEC "DEPCA" Ethernet board,
> but I am still unable to find a packet driver for the DEPCA.  If anyone
> out there is using these DEPCA boards with PC-NFS, I would love to hear
> from you.

ftp software has support for the DEPCA with their pc-nfs.  sun told me
that because the DEPCA was "proprietary," they would not support it.
fine.  i bought ftp software.  of course, be prepared to wait
*FOREVER* if you actually order from ftp software.  i don't know what
their problem is (actually, i think part of it has been our buyer's
fault,)  but we've been waiting forever for our software to arrive,
and we are very pissed.

						- dave
dhc@lanl.gov

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (08/04/90)

In article <59101@lanl.gov> dhc@lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:
>In article <90206.194627TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET>, TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
>> Hi there.  I am trying to run PC-NFS using a DEC "DEPCA" Ethernet board,
>> but I am still unable to find a packet driver for the DEPCA.  If anyone
>> out there is using these DEPCA boards with PC-NFS, I would love to hear
>> from you.
>
>ftp software has support for the DEPCA with their pc-nfs.  sun told me
>that because the DEPCA was "proprietary," they would not support it.
>fine.  i bought ftp software.  of course, be prepared to wait
>*FOREVER* if you actually order from ftp software.  i don't know what
>their problem is (actually, i think part of it has been our buyer's
>fault,)  but we've been waiting forever for our software to arrive,
>and we are very pissed.

I've gotten nothing but excellent, fast response from FTP and consider their
service as one of their greatest assets.

It's hard to believe that the same buyers that bought us the $600 toilet seat
(government) could be slow, but I think you might look there :-)

BTW: When DEC finally decides to release the next version of PCSA (called Lan
Works 4.0 - slated for Dec. release) they'll have an NDIS driver for the DEPCA
(so they say). Running FTP's dis_pkt on top of it will give 'ya a packet
driver interface.  Geoff's (SunSpot East) NFS-KIT for PC-NFS supports both
packet driver and NDIS, so you could go either way then.

Now if the BYU code would get fixed, Netware could run on dis_pkt too.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

dhc@lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (08/07/90)

In article <11358@netcom.UUCP>, jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:
> In article <59101@lanl.gov> dhc@lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:
> >
> >ftp software has support for the DEPCA with their pc-nfs.  sun told me
> >that because the DEPCA was "proprietary," they would not support it.
> >fine.  i bought ftp software.  of course, be prepared to wait
> >*FOREVER* if you actually order from ftp software.  i don't know what
> >their problem is (actually, i think part of it has been our buyer's
> >fault,)  but we've been waiting forever for our software to arrive,
> >and we are very pissed.
>
> I've gotten nothing but excellent, fast response from FTP and consider their
> service as one of their greatest assets.

i did not mean to bash ftp software; they're a good company.  however,
they sometimes let customers fall through the cracks.  my buyer told
me he was having a hard time getting in touch with a sales rep at ftp,
so i decided to try.  i tried for about an hour with little success.
i would get put on hold for 10 minutes, then disconnected.  i would
get an answering machine, then dial "0" for a real person, and no one
would answer.  i was forwarded numerous times to phones which nobody
answered.  i may have just hit a bad day there, but it was very
frustrating.  i have heard many good things about the company, but
we've been waiting now for over two months for our software.

> It's hard to believe that the same buyers that bought us the $600 toilet seat
> (government) could be slow, but I think you might look there :-)

i've never seen a $600 toilet seat here.  our purchasing department is
extremely careful.  we are *not* a contractor!

						- dave
dhc@lanl.gov

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (08/08/90)

Please excuse my ignorance here, but just what is "NDIS" ?

j_rodin@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (08/09/90)

>Please excuse my ignorance here, but just what is "NDIS" ?

Network Driver Interface Specification

It is a Microsoft/3Com spec for a standard LAN driver interface.  It allows
any protocol stack which knows NDIS to run over any LAN card which has an
NDIS driver.

It brings the total number of 'standard' driver specs up to 3:  NDIS,
Novell's ODI and FTP's packet driver.  Plenty of standards to go around.

efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett Batey) (08/13/90)

In article <59279@lanl.gov> dhc@lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:
>> >ftp software has support for the DEPCA with their pc-nfs.  sun told me

>> It's hard to believe that the same buyers that bought us the $600 toilet seat

dave

Gee Dave, you get that $600 toilet stuff bashing, too.  Item one, Admin Branch
buyers leave something to be desired and that empire will survive you and I.

Item two ..
It is perhaps of value to the private sector to note that most of the folks
who work _inside the wall_ do so because they are public servants and NOT to
waste our own public salary and other funds.

Item three ..
Those of us within the wall may even believe that many of those outside
the wall are not trying to take their own government to the cleaners

As to FTP, Inc and others.  Big Jim .. JBVB@ftp.com, hope I spelled it right
has always been quick to forward my sales, service and delivery queries to
the right employee .. TRY him.  If I spelled his mail handle wrong, you will
find a good spelling in one of the news groups with tcp in its name.

After all the grief we had with DEPCAs, I DONT BLAME SUN or anyone else for
steering away from them ..

Best of all when all fails ( reasonable attempts at communications ) then
flame city here in the newsgroups usually gets us fixed or flamed as needed.

Finally, DOWN WITH VOICE MAIL .. Everyone should use talk or a pager.  /Ev/

--
 +  efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL efb@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov  efb@voodoo.bitnet  +
 +  efb@suned1.UUCP | Gold Coast Sun Users | Vta-SB-SLO DECUS |  WA6CRE   +