[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3COM OR Western Digital -Whos got the best 10Mbit/sec board ?

rob@lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) (08/15/90)

We are about to buy approx. 50 ethernet adapters for AT bus machines.  We
will be running tcp/ip for the pc  (PC/TCP ?) . Some under SCO Unix/Xenix.

They are priced similarly and seem to work equally well.  We are curious
which is the more popular board with the net@large.  Can anyone comment about
their experiences with these boards. ?

Also, Which TCP/IP package do you like for the PC ?   Why ?

Thanks.  Rob.
--
Rob Freyder                                  Core Laboratories a division of
____    ____     ____                        Western Atlas International Inc.

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (08/16/90)

> Subject: 3COM OR Western Digital -Whos got the best 10Mbit/sec board ?

> They are priced similarly and seem to work equally well.  We are curious
> which is the more popular board with the net@large.

We have a lot of 3COM boards on campus.  I personally have been pleased
with them, especially the 3c503.  The 3c503 (and 3c523 (microchannel))
have most of the configuration software settable, so you usually don't need
to fool with jumpers (yeah!).  It also comes with both thick and thin
connectors.

> Also, Which TCP/IP package do you like for the PC ?   Why ?

Well, I really, really like ours.  However, it is availble only to
educational institutions.  If you're not from an educational institution,
then I'd suggest talking to FTP Inc.

> Rob Freyder                                Internet   rob@lafayet.UUCP

			Joe Herman
			U. of Md.

DISCLAIMER:
I have no association with 3COM.  I have a strong association with
the MD-DOS/IP package (the 'ours' above).