[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3c523 packet driver, timeout during initializing.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/19/90)

system is a ibm ps/2 mod 70 386, running dos 3.3.
net hardware is a 3c523 microchannel ethernet card,
	hardware interrupt 3,
	base  0xc000-0c5ff
	i/o 0x300-0x307

packet driver is v6.1.1 3c523 from clarkson.
error message when starting up is
	"timed out while initializing the board".
with command
	3c523 0x60		# also for other 0xnn in 60-80 I randomly tried

3com diagnostics say that everything passes.  someone clue me
in what I should check next?  send me mail cause I've got the
weekend off.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

upl@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Undergrad Projects Lab) (07/22/90)

In article <EMV.90Jul18210411@urania.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>system is a ibm ps/2 mod 70 386, running dos 3.3.
>net hardware is a 3c523 microchannel ethernet card,
>	hardware interrupt 3,
>	base  0xc000-0c5ff
>	i/o 0x300-0x307
>
>packet driver is v6.1.1 3c523 from clarkson.
>error message when starting up is
>	"timed out while initializing the board".
>with command
>	3c523 0x60		# also for other 0xnn in 60-80 I randomly tried

This is the EXACT same problem that I'm having.  I have the same setup
	- a ps/2 mod70
	- dos 3.3
	- 3c523 Mc ether card
	- hw int 3

I'm using the same packet driver, too.  I get the same error message.  However,
It used to work!  I had been using it for months without a problem, then
last week it decided to not work.  I usually start the PD with the following
line:

C:\DRIVERS>3c523 0x60 3 0x300 0xc000

I have not changed any config files (to the best of my knowledge).  I did
however acquire the SOS executable and tried to run it.  That is when I noticed
the problem.  For a while, it was very intermittant.  Worked sometimes, and
didn't other times.  Now it won't work at all.  Sometimes the PD says it has
loaded itself, and all the PD software (i.e. PKTCHK.COM) says that the packet
driver exists, but when I try to run NOS, NCSA telnet, or IPXPKT.COM, they all
say that they can't find a driver at 0x60 (or in the case of IPXPKT, that it
can't initiate communication with the packet driver)

Another fact that may be interesting is that everything works if I try and use
other driver software (i.e. an IPX.COM gen'ed for the 3c523).  I've also run
diagnostics on the card and did not come up with any problems.  I've tried
re-getting the drivers from various ftp sites, but to no avail.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.  I would prefer if people would post
any responses that they have, but if mail is necessary please mail to the
following address:
	mark.horn@mail.admin.wisc.edu
and not to the account from which this is being posted.

Thanks for any and all help
- Mark Horn

PIRARD%vm1.ulg.ac.be@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Andr'e PIRARD) (08/20/90)

On Sun, 22 Jul 90 16:23:16 GMT Undergrad Projects Lab said:
>In article <EMV.90Jul18210411@urania.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu
> (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>>packet driver is v6.1.1 3c523 from clarkson.
>>error message when starting up is
>>       "timed out while initializing the board".
>This is the EXACT same problem that I'm having.  I have the same setup

I've noticed that loading/termin 3c523 v5 once causes v6 to run fine until
next boot. So, do that if you really need v6. Reason is:
I've traced 3c523. It looks like it tests the RAM before programming the
card, and the RAM is not mapped in to the CPU before that.
I told Russ.
I don't use the 3C523 any more.

Andr'e PIRARD             SEGI, Univ. de Li`ege
B26 - Sart Tilman         B-4000 Li`ege 1 (Belgium)
pirard@vm1.ulg.ac.be  or  PIRARD@BLIULG11 on EARN/BITNET