[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] comtcp-- interrupt 14

gaspar@STL-08SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Al Gaspar) (08/21/90)

I am trying to find out about a public domain interupt 14
interceptor for DOS.  I was told that there was one available
called 'comtcp' from the the University of Maryland (umd5.umd.edu).
Unfortunately, when I ftp over there, I can't find anything
resembling it.  I had also heard that ncsa had one.  Could any
one give me some information on either of these and how/where
to get them.  Thanks for the help.  Please reply to me directly
as I haven't been getting the mailing list recently.

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
USAMC SIMA, ATTN:  AMXSI-TTC, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578

ostrove@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (08/21/90)

>I am trying to find out about a public domain interupt 14
>interceptor for DOS.  I was told that there was one available
>called 'comtcp' from the the University of Maryland (umd5.umd.edu).
>Unfortunately, when I ftp over there, I can't find anything
>resembling it.

COMTCP is indeed available here at Maryland, and it is a interrupt 14
interceptor.  It can be found in the (/usr/ftp/)pub/pc/dosip directory.
Login via anonymous ftp.  However, I'm not sure if it will do what you
need.  COMTCP only works with in conjunction with the networking
supplied by the rest of the MD-DOS/IP package.  Unfortunently, as has
been mentioned before, MD-DOS/IP is currently only available to
educational institutions.  On the upside, source is available, so if
anyone just wants to see how an INT 14 interceptor works they are free
to take a look.

Disclaimer - I work on the MD-DOS/IP project...

Steve Ostrove
University of Maryland at College Park
Computer Science Center
PC/IP Group
(301)403-4618

Email:
    Internet:    ostrove@terminus.umd.edu
    BITNET  :    ostrove@umdd.bitnet

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (08/21/90)

> From: Al Gaspar <gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>

> I am trying to find out about a public domain interupt 14
> interceptor for DOS.  I was told that there was one available
> called 'comtcp' from the the University of Maryland (umd5.umd.edu).
> Unfortunately, when I ftp over there, I can't find anything
> resembling it.

Comtcp can be found on umd5:pub/pc/dosip.  It was designed to run in
conjuction with the TSR's of the MD-DOSIP package but should port to
any stack that has a socket library.  If you're not using the MD-DOSIP
package, just delete the tk_yields() and recompile with a socket library
of your choice.  If you are using MD-DOSIP, the executable should work
fine.

			Joe Herman

DISCLAIMER:  I was on the DOSIP project.  I wrote comtcp as a weekend hack
             and it turned out to be exteremely useful.

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu