[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] x11 for a ps2/55

brian@uoft02.utoledo.edu (08/26/90)

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but, does anyone
have info on x11 for a ps2/55 running either msdos or os2? I'd
rather have a vaxstation, but I'm stuck with the ps2/55 over
ethernet using ftp's pc/tcp (under msdos, a terribly crude os).

No flames, please. Just my opinion.

brian nelson
brian@uoft02.utoledo.edu

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (08/27/90)

There are quite a few x-windows packages which run over our PC/TCP.
Vendors you might contact are:

Graphic Software Systems (GSS) makes and X-server called PC-Xview.
It runs on TCP/IP packages from FTP Software, Excelan and Sun.

Contact:

        Jim Thomassen (uunet!mntgfx!gssc!jimt)

or	Graphic Software Systems, Inc.
        9590 SW Gemini Drive
        P.O. Box 4900
        Beaverton, Oregon  97005
        Telephone:  (503) 641-2200
        (Fax:  (503) 643-8642)

Hewlett-Packard makes an X-server called AXDS\PC. (For some reason, our
contact address for this is in Canada.)

	Hewlett-Packard Panacom Automation Division
	20 Lexington Road
	Waterloo, Ontario
	N2J 3Z3
	CANADA
	(519) 886-5320

Hummingbird makes an X-server called HCL-eXceed.

  	Hummingbird Communications Ltd.
   	2900 John Street, Unit 4
   	Markham, Ontario, Canada  L3R 5G3
        (416) 470-1203
   	(Fax: (416) 470-1207)

Integrated Inference Machines makes and X-server called X11/AT.

	(714) 978-6201 or -6776

Locus Computing has a server called PC-Xsight which also appears in
Acer's X terminal. This runs on their TCP/IP and ours.

	800-955-6287
    CA: 213-670-6500
    UK: +44 296 89911

Pittsburgh Powercomputing makes an X-package that works on DOS and UNIX.

contact:

	(800) 326-4025

VisionWare makes an X-server called X Vision. It runs on TCP/IP packages from
Excelan, FTP Software, Locus and Sun.

contact:

	VisionWare
	P.O. Box 3991
	Minneapolis, MN  55405
	(612) 377-3627

Besides running on PC/TCP, many of these xservers are also available
for other TCP/IP packages. The information I have included on that is
what I had available, and should not be taken as a complete list!

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

mrf@FTP.COM (08/27/90)

    Date: 25 Aug 90 17:18:53 GMT
    From: uoft02.utoledo.edu!brian@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
    Subject: x11 for a ps2/55
    Sender: pcip-request@udel.edu
    To: pcip@udel.edu

    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but, does anyone
    have info on x11 for a ps2/55 running either msdos or os2? I'd
    rather have a vaxstation, but I'm stuck with the ps2/55 over
    ethernet using ftp's pc/tcp (under msdos, a terribly crude os).

We have tested X11 with PC/TCP in house.  We were able to use it
quite successfully.  The only problems that we encountered were that
we were unable to get a DOS shell after all the TCP connections were
exhausted, and that we were not able to get some of the fonts to work
properly.  The latter may have been user error.

I will forward further details about the specific hardware and
version numbers, etc. to Brian at U. Toledo.  Anyone having any
problems with this combination can feel free to contact FTP Software
at support@ftp.com or (617) 246-0900 x100.

Thanx,

Margaret Forsythe
mrf@ftp.com