[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Ethernet adapters for laptops

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (08/28/90)

Does anyone know of (or, preferably, is using) an Ethernet adapter for
laptops (probably have to connect via the parallel port, since we have
a couple different vendor's laptops) that has an NDIS driver available
for it so that it would work with LAN Manager?

Any other suggestions on temporarily connecting laptops to the office LAN
(Ethernet, TCP/IP, probably LAN Manager software) would also be
appreciated?

Thanks.
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (08/29/90)

In article <764@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>Does anyone know of (or, preferably, is using) an Ethernet adapter for
>laptops (probably have to connect via the parallel port, since we have
>a couple different vendor's laptops) that has an NDIS driver available
>for it so that it would work with LAN Manager?

Xircom has an NDIS driver (and a packet driver) for their parallel port
adapters.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

In article <12787@netcom.UUCP> jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:

   Xircom has an NDIS driver (and a packet driver) for their parallel port
   adapters.

And if you get the packet driver, be sure to insist on getting the complete
source.  I've heard that they aren't making the source available, which is
in violation of the copyright notice.  I'll also be bugging them about it...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
We won the cold war.  The Russians spent trillions defending their stuff,

UPH008@DDOHRZ11.BITNET (Wilhelm Becker) (08/29/90)

On Tue, 28 Aug 90 12:28:21 GMT Jim O'Connor said:
>Does anyone know of (or, preferably, is using) an Ethernet adapter for
>laptops (probably have to connect via the parallel port, since we have
>a couple different vendor's laptops) that has an NDIS driver available
>for it so that it would work with LAN Manager?
>
>Any other suggestions on temporarily connecting laptops to the office LAN
>(Ethernet, TCP/IP, probably LAN Manager software) would also be
>appreciated?
>
>Thanks.
>-------------
>James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
>Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

Here is one possible solution.
Buy a PC containing an ethernet card and a serial port.
Install KA9Q to route between the ethernet and the serial port using SLIP.
Install any TCP/IP software on your laptop(s) that supports SLIP.
Not a very fast solution, but it should work.

    Wilhelm Becker               Grau, teurer Freund, ist alle Theorie,
                                 Und gruen des Lebens goldner Baum
    Institut fuer Physik
    Universitaet Dortmund          Goethe, Faust I

    EARN:  UPH008@DDOHRZ11.BITNET

SYST8107@RYERSON.BITNET (Ken Woo) (08/29/90)

A company by the name of Xircom has ethernet adapeters that attach to
the parallel port on a laptop.  They have adapters that have connectors for
AUI, Thin ethernet and 10BaseT.  They have or will have drivers for the
most common LAN operating systems, NETBIOS, FTP software, PC/TCP and
Wollongong WIN/TCP and some others, but I don't think they support NDIS>
They can be contacted at:   22231 Mulholland Hwy., Suite 114
                            Woodland Hills, CA 91364
                            PH: (818)884-8755  FAX: (818)884-1719

Hope this helps.