[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Telnet software with scripts?

ALC@psuvm.psu.edu (07/09/90)

Anybody seen any Telnet software that has a script language in it for
MSDOS computers? I have several applications where I would like the
software to establish a session and logon to the host under program
control. All I've ever seen is FTP Inc's and NCSA's software and neither
have script language. Thanks

SIMXT@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Ed Sterling) (07/10/90)

Script or "macro" capabilities seem to be very common in
"dial-up" telecommunications software programs, and as you say,
it hasn't made it to TELNET yet.

One interimsolution is to use one of these telecommunications
packages with an INT-14 driver, and then couple it to something
like FTP software's TNGLASS, which does the low-level TCP/IP
I/O. KERMIT for example can do this, as it has an INT-14
I/O option now. My own company makes a dial-up 3270 emulation
program, which has an INT-14 driver. Coupled with TNGLASS
or a similar INT-14-to-TELNET support program, you can run
scripted sessions over TELNET. Naturally we hope to have a
real TELNET driver soon, so that we can bypass the more
complicated INT-14 interface (maybe cumbersome is a better term).

The INT-14 approach using your favorite PC telecommunications
program (with INT-14 capability) is likely your best solution
at this time.

I think Walker Richie Quinn's Reflections does scripting, and
has a TELNET interface as an option (called Telnet Manager).
They appear to have very extensive emulations and a lot of
features.

Ed Sterling
Simware Inc.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (07/10/90)

In article <90190.125630ALC@psuvm.psu.edu> ALC@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Anybody seen any Telnet software that has a script language in it for
>MSDOS computers? I have several applications where I would like the
>software to establish a session and logon to the host under program
>control. All I've ever seen is FTP Inc's and NCSA's software and neither
>have script language. Thanks

FTP's PC/TCP (and there are prob. others) supports the INT14 redirector in
thier telnet (it's TNGLASS.EXE in FTP's product). Just add any communications
package that also supports INT14 (Softronics SoftermPC and Kermit to name JUST
A FEW) and you've got it.

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (07/10/90)

If you like Kermit's "script" facility (or that of just about any of
the commercial asynch terminal emulators), then you might want to use
it with a DOS TCP/IP whose Telnet supports BIOS INT 14 redirection.
These include Beame & Whiteside's, FTP Software's, 3Com's and possibly
Wollongong's.

You can also get versions of WR&Q "Reflections" and DCS's "EMxxx"
packages which run directly on Telnet, without the INT 14 emulation.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

PIRARD%vm1.ulg.ac.be@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Andr'e PIRARD) (08/23/90)

On Tue, 10 Jul 90 00:47:46 EDT Ed Sterling said:
>Script or "macro" capabilities seem to be very common in
>"dial-up" telecommunications software programs, and as you say,
>it hasn't made it to TELNET yet.

Many useful scripts can also be 'played' with keyboards enhancers.
They can also be useful for keyboard redefinition.
Additionally, they may allow WYSIWYG recording *during* the session.
I use DESQview's 'keyboard learn' (as well as cut&paste) a lot that way.
So easy that one rarely types the same key sequence more than twice.
Limitations are that:
1) There is no provision for logic.
2) No synch with output is provided (for systems that need that), only
   fixed time delays. But there could be a TSR to watch the screen and
   wait until anything specific is displayed (and logic limited to abort).
   Anybody knows one?
3) Comm programs like to merge keyboard shift status with keyboard input
   to extend the number of keys available. Enhancers cannot replay status
   and the program gets the status of the key redefined. I've had problems
   with keyboard redefinition of MSKermit (without SET KEY OFF) and CUTCP.
   There is a solution, however. Comm programs should require that the
   status of redefined keys be present, but allow extraneous status.
   I warn implementers about that.

Andr'e PIRARD             SEGI, Univ. de Li`ege
B26 - Sart Tilman         B-4000 Li`ege 1 (Belgium)
pirard@vm1.ulg.ac.be  or  PIRARD@BLIULG11 on EARN/BITNET

rob@icarus.inmos.co.uk (Robin Pickering) (08/29/90)

In article <9008230554.aa01364@louie.udel.edu> PIRARD%vm1.ulg.ac.be@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Andr'e PIRARD) writes:
>Many useful scripts can also be 'played' with keyboards enhancers.
>They can also be useful for keyboard redefinition.
>Additionally, they may allow WYSIWYG recording *during* the session.
>I use DESQview's 'keyboard learn' (as well as cut&paste) a lot that way.
>So easy that one rarely types the same key sequence more than twice.
>Limitations are that:
>1) There is no provision for logic.
>2) No synch with output is provided (for systems that need that), only
>   fixed time delays. But there could be a TSR to watch the screen and
>   wait until anything specific is displayed (and logic limited to abort).
>   Anybody knows one?

One product that I know of which does exactly what you require is called
"Automator MI". From what I have seen of this program, it looks quite
good. It is a TSR which is able to record and play back entire complex
sequences with full synchronisation and keypress emulation.

It does however have one drawback - it's expensive. It is aimed at the
corporate market (automating unattended PC backups, data transfer etc)

Anyway their address is:

 Direct Technology
 Grove House, 551 London Rd
 Isleworth, Middlesex, TW 7 4DS
 UK
 +44 81-847 1666
 +44 81-847 3911

Disclaimer: The only connection I have with the above company is having seen
            their product demo'd on a couple of occasions, and that was a
            while ago.

 Rob Pickering.
--
JANET:     ROB@UK.CO.INMOS                      | Snail: 1000 Aztec West