[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] ka9q route command

fff@eng.UUCP (Fred Fierling) (08/29/90)

This is the setup:  - IBM PC AT
                    - KA9Q version 900730
                    - version 6.5 wd8003e driver
                    - WD8013 card
                    - 16550 UARTs

Everything works really well except for this command:

 route add 195.75.11.0/24 sl0

This causes one floppy access and then net goes off into never never land.

Any ideas?
--
Fred Fierling  mplex!fff@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca Tel: 604 875-1461 Fax: 604 875-9029
Microplex Systems Ltd   265 East 1st Avenue   Vancouver, BC   V5T 1A7,  Canada

karn@envy..bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (09/05/90)

In article <9@eng.UUCP> fff@eng.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>Everything works really well except for this command:
>
> route add 195.75.11.0/24 sl0
>
>This causes one floppy access and then net goes off into never never land.

Fred,

Try
	route add [195.75.11.0]/24 sl0

It used to be that you had to enclose all numeric IP address args to
NET in brackets; otherwise a hostid string was taken as the domain
name of a host. I got so many complaints about this that I installed a
heuristic into the name lookup routine.

If the string isn't surrounded by brackets, the heuristic decides
whether it has a domain name or a numeric IP address by scanning the
token to see if it contains anything other than decimal digits and
periods. If not, it's assumed to be a domain name and is handed off to
the domain resolver. This works well for regular user commands, but
unfortunately the slash character fools the heuristic into thinking
your target is a domain name. If you don't have a domain resolver this
query can hang (the disk access occurs as the resolver checks the
local cache.)

I'm aware of this "gotcha" and I'll try to come up with a clean fix.

Phil