[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] KA9Q by Phil Karn

reynolds@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Reynolds) (08/30/90)

with what the manual, "xxx.rn" or "xxx.nr" *said* it would do, including
things like read/write protection for individual subdirectories.  But I can't
figure out how to get the blasted thing to work.  Granted, I'm no tcp/ip
expert, but I've gotten NCSA Telnet and QVT_TCP going, no problem.  Part of
the problem is there's no example configuration file!  I could even get around
that if Phil published an e-mail address where he could be reached with
questions.  By the looks of this, this program originated in radio, so I'm not
even sure if it *can* work with 3c503 cards, except that the manual gave some
examples of using the 3c501 (not enough examples, though).

Phil, I think I would love your software, but I need help!  Are you listening??
Any other help would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Mike Reynolds
  Libraries Micro Services
  University of Washington, Seattle
  reynolds@milton.u.washington.edu

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/03/90)

In article <6854@milton.u.washington.edu>
	reynolds@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Reynolds) writes:
>            By the looks of this, this program originated in radio, so I'm not
>even sure if it *can* work with 3c503 cards, except that the manual gave some
>examples of using the 3c501 (not enough examples, though).

I've been playing with NOS for just a few hours, with no other
documentation that what I could find on thumper.bellcore.com;
the very first thing I tried--running it with a 3C503 packet
driver--worked like a charm.  So it's definitely possible.

Here's more or less what you need to do:

1) get a 3C503 packet driver--mine came from sun.soe.clarkson.edu
   Start it from AUTOEXEC.BAT using vector 0x7e (by convention)
2) create a \AUTOEXEC.NET file something like this:

hostname foobar.u.washington.edu
ip address 128.95.xxx.xxx
attach packet 0x7e pd0 8 1500
ifconfig pd0 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 128.95.255.255
arp add 128.95.255.255 ethernet ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
route addprivate default pd0 129.95.yyy.yyy
domain suffix u.washington.edu
domain addserver 128.95.1.4
domain addserver 128.95.112.1
domain addserver 128.95.120.1
start discard
start echo
start finger
start ttylink
start ftp
start telnet
smtp gateway milton.u.washington.edu
smtp timer 900
start smtp

If your network is subnetted, you'd adjust the netmask and
broadcast addresses appropriately (also the broadcast address in
the arp line).  If you want to add additional static routes for
(sub)networks, you have to enclose the IP addresses in []
(ignore the examples in the user reference), e.g.

route add [129.95.50.0]/24 pd0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(All those xxx and yyy should be the appropriate numbers, I'm
not familiar with your internal topology)  If things are
complicated enough to justify running RIP, you probably want
to get someone more network-literate to help you set that up.

3) Create a \FTPUSERS file--start with something simple like
anonymous * /public 1
sysop password / 127

4) Create the following directories:
\SPOOL\HELP
\SPOOL\MAIL
\SPOOL\MQUEUE
\SPOOL\RQUEUE

You should be able to run NET at this point--it will create
\DOMAIN.TXT for you.  BTW, I didn't see any \SPOOL\HELP\* files
on thumper.bellcore.com--I assume that means they haven't been
written yet?

5) NET doesn't provide any sort of intelligent terminal emulation;
if you need it, start NANSI from CONFIG.SYS (also available from
thumper.bellcore.com)

					-=EPS=-

milton@ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) (09/06/90)

In article <1490@wet.UUCP> :

>You should be able to run NET at this point--it will create
>\DOMAIN.TXT for you.  BTW, I didn't see any \SPOOL\HELP\* files
>on thumper.bellcore.com--I assume that means they haven't been
>written yet?

Actually, I beleive some exist as part of the G1EMM distribution in
the approprate directory (G1EMM is value add-ed "vendor" of NOS).
The are written for a packet radio user, however, and may need
to be edited.

milton