[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] UNIX <-> DOS Sybase support

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (08/20/90)

I posted last week about Sybase not supporting UNIX servers to MS-DOS
clients.  An individual from Sybase responded that Sybase DOES support
UNIX servers to DOS clients.  The local Sybase people tell me that
in fact they do not, and are planning to provide that support in the
second quarter of 1991.

Another individual (from Ashton-Tate) indicated that if using PC-NFS,
it is possible for a UNIX server to support a DOS client.

What's the story folks?  I've kept the names of individuals out of this for
everyone's protection.

IS ANYONE ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

If no one is, then I am interested in developing a named pipes  to TCP
socket protocol converter.  I imagine that the most difficult part is
knowing when to close the connection.
*  Brian Jay Gould - Professional Brain-stormer *

manoj@ca.excelan.com (manoj @ Prod Mktg) (09/19/90)

In article <Aug.19.21.40.18.1990.8859@pilot.njin.net>, gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:
> I posted last week about Sybase not supporting UNIX servers to MS-DOS
> clients.  An individual from Sybase responded that Sybase DOES support
> UNIX servers to DOS clients.  The local Sybase people tell me that
> in fact they do not, and are planning to provide that support in the
> second quarter of 1991.
>
> What's the story folks?  I've kept the names of individuals out of this for
> everyone's protection.

Sybase has a db-lib product that allows the dos tcp/ip nodes to communicate to
unix and other db servers to communicate over sockets..

Check with sybase at emeryville.. we have some joint app notes with them..

|  |\/\/\/|                                            | manoj goel        |
|  |      |   "Hey Dude, Don't have a cow!"            | Product Marketing |
|  | (o)(o)                - Bart                      | 408 473 8369      |
|  |     _)                                            | 408 433 0775 fax  |