[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PC's to Internet?

sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/16/90)

I would like to get some of the 386's of a consulting company connected to
the Internet.  As I have no knowledge about how this is done, could someone
please advise me about what I need to do?  Is there some online site for
documents such as RFC's or an Internet Regulatory Agency that I should
contact?

Better yet, if anyone has done this and could advise me about the general
path I would need to take, please do so.  A significant ammount of money
($5K-$10K) is available for equipment or fees, and some impressive hardware
33Mhz 386's, 330Meg HD, 8Meg RAM, Architech UNIX running (but little
networking material at the moment)

CSP1DWD@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580, 213) (09/19/90)

> I would like to get some of the 386's of a consulting company connect to
> the Internet.  As I have no knowledge about how this is done, could seone
> please advise me about what I need to do?  Is there some online site r
> documents such as RFC's or an Internet Regulatory Agency that I shoul
> contact?

On the issue of Internet connectivity, you have to locate your nearest
data communications regional network offering Internet connectivity
services. This involves usually leasing a data line between your site
and the regional network center and installing a local router to
gateway your local LAN traffic to the regional net. If your budget
is limited then a point to point link via modems and phones can
be used instead but at a much reduced performance. Here in California
the CERFnet folks, reached at help@cerf.net, offer the services just
described. Many other regional networks are available elsewhere...

The next issue has to do with tying your PCs into some local LAN,
again various technologies ara available to do this, it all depends
on what you intend to do and what networking applications you wish to
use.

-- Denis

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (09/19/90)

In article <9009190344.aa19308@louie.udel.edu> CSP1DWD@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580, 213) writes:
>> I would like to get some of the 386's of a consulting company connect to
>> the Internet.  As I have no knowledge about how this is done, could seone
>> please advise me about what I need to do?  Is there some online site r
>> documents such as RFC's or an Internet Regulatory Agency that I shoul
>> contact?
>
>	(stuff deleted)
>
>described. Many other regional networks are available elsewhere...

Does anyone know of a network which has a hub in or near Atlanta, GA? Is
there a list of these network?

Thanks.

---
Michael R. Almond                                 mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.                           gatech.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                  (404) 441-1457 (work)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (09/19/90)

   In article <73200010@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
      I would like to get some of the 386's of a consulting company
      connected to the Internet.

   On the issue of Internet connectivity, you have to locate your
   nearest data communications regional network offering Internet
   connectivity services.

You would do well to contact folks at either PSI, Alternet, or
CERFnet, the major commercial IP connectivity providers that spring to
mind.  Write to postmaster@psi.com, postmaster@uunet.uu.net, and
postmaster@cerf.net respectively and they'll be happy to send you all
sorts of information.  PSI and Alternet are based on the right coast,
and CERFnet on the left, but they each are expanding their
geographical coverage to where they may reach Illinois already.

Alternatively, talk to the networking people at UIUC.  They may be set
up to support local connections for commercial sites, for appropriate
fees.  You may still find that the commercial connectivity providers
are more economical for you, but it's worth asking.

      Is there some online site for documents such as RFC's or an
      Internet Regulatory Agency that I should contact?

The RFCs are available via anonymous FTP from nic.ddn.mil in the
directory RFC:, or via anonymous UUCP from osu-cis (write to
uucp@cis.ohio-state.edu for instructions) or uunet (write to
postmaster@uunet.uu.net for instructions), or via a mail-based archive
server at nic.ddn.mil (write to postmaster@nic.ddn.mil for
instructions).  Your regional or commercial IP carrier should be able
to help you with interactions with the Network Information Center,
else write to hostmaster@nic.ddn.mil.

schoff@PSI.COM (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (09/20/90)

Bob et al,

Just some clarifications, PSI/PSINet has POPs in LA, SantaClara
[LeftCoast], Boston, NY, Philadelphia, DC [RightCoast], Chicago [NorthCoast],
etc...  And while the postmaster(s) are a friendly group of people
I and they would be prefer that you contact:
	info@psi.com
or if your specifically interested in Internet access through our
Standard Connection Service (SCS), automagic information is
available through
	scs-info@psi.com
Thanks,

Marty