[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PCRRN

martinea@HAWK.NSTN.NS.CA (09/08/90)

Does anyone have any experience with a package known as pcrrn?  I can
find the source but not executables nor any documentation.  Can anyone
help?

Michael Martineau
NSTN Inc.

towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfigh) (09/12/90)

In article <1078@hawk.nstn.ns.ca> martinea@HAWK.NSTN.NS.CA writes:

   Does anyone have any experience with a package known as pcrrn?  I can
   find the source but not executables nor any documentation.  Can anyone
   help?

I ported it to my company's board-based TCP/IP.  From what I
understand of it, it is just a hacked-up version of RN to run on a PC,
and a sloppy job at that.  You have to have a drive I: mapped to
create temporary files, if certain environment variables aren't set
(like FULLNAME) it just blows up, and there is no posting ability
until you write your own PNEWS.  But, it is the easiest solution right
now, as no one will have GNU Emacs, let alone GNUS, up and running on
a PC in the near future!
--
Mark Towfigh, Racal InterLan, Inc.                 towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM
W: (508) 263-9929 H: (617) 488-2818                       uunet!interlan!towfiq

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (09/12/90)

>In article <1078@hawk.nstn.ns.ca> martinea@HAWK.NSTN.NS.CA writes:
>
>   Does anyone have any experience with a package known as pcrrn?  I can
>   find the source but not executables nor any documentation.  Can anyone
>   help?

I looked at it: it is missing the most vital piece: the hookup to the
Ethernet card. PLEASE!! Does anybody have code that will make this
thing run with a Western Digital 8003E (preferably without .sys files
or TSRs)? AS is it has one routine with lots of missing header files
and undefined globals.

Doug McDonald (mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)

jim@dorm.rutgers.edu (Jim Martin) (09/20/90)

	I'm in the process of porting PCRRN to the PCIP libraries, and
cleaning up the ugliness in the code. The primary purpose of this is
to support remote news reading on pc's in the dorms I've just
networked, via both SLIP and 10Base-T ethernet. I'll make it publicly
available as soon as it's done.
					Jim