[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Use of Wollongong Win/TCP for DOS with AT&T StarLan 10 NAU

SCEF0003@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU ("James N. Petersen") (09/14/90)

Does anyone know whether the Wollongong Win/TCP for DOS software
product will work with AT&T StarLAN 10 Network Access Unit or with
the StarLan-10 EN100 Network Access Unit?  We have some AT&T 6386
computers equipped with these boards and would like to access TCP/IP
network resources.  AT&T markets products which have the Wollongong
copyright, but they may have purchased the source and made it work with
their hardware.  Wollongong is not sure if it will work.  They say that
if the boards are NDIS compatable, then it will work.  Any experience
 or suggestions?

Thanks.

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (09/14/90)

If you are just looking for a TCP/IP for DOS, rather than specifically
Win/TCP, you can get from AT&T a version of our PC/TCP for the Starlan NAU.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

In article <9009131714.aa08941@louie.udel.edu> SCEF0003@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU ("James N. Petersen") writes:

   Does anyone know whether the Wollongong Win/TCP for DOS software
   product will work with AT&T StarLAN 10 Network Access Unit or with
   the StarLan-10 EN100 Network Access Unit?

Clarkson has a packet driver for both these boards, and Win/TCP has
support for the packet drivers.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

ljm@mercury.twg.com (09/20/90)

>Does anyone know whether the Wollongong Win/TCP for DOS software
>product will work with AT&T StarLAN 10 Network Access Unit or with
>the StarLan-10 EN100 Network Access Unit?...

>AT&T markets products which have the Wollongong copyright, but they
>may have purchased the source and made it work with their hardware.

AT&T markets our WIN/TCP for their UNIX machines, this is a very
different product (and source base) than our WIN/TCP for DOS.

>Wollongong is not sure if it will work.  They say that if the boards
>are NDIS compatable, then it will work.  Any experience or suggestions?

NDIS drivers definately exist and are tested for the StarLAN boards as
AT&T's Stargroup software is LAN Manager based.  Or, as Russ Nelson
suggested, you can use the Clarkson University StarLAN packet driver.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
Manager of Microcomputer Networking
ljm@twg.com

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (09/20/90)

In article <9009191456.aa23603@Mercury.TWG.COM> ljm@mercury.twg.com writes:

>>Does anyone know whether the Wollongong Win/TCP for DOS software
>>product will work with AT&T StarLAN 10 Network Access Unit or with
>>the StarLan-10 EN100 Network Access Unit?...
>
>>AT&T markets products which have the Wollongong copyright, but they
>>may have purchased the source and made it work with their hardware.
>
>AT&T markets our WIN/TCP for their UNIX machines, this is a very
>different product (and source base) than our WIN/TCP for DOS.
>
>>Wollongong is not sure if it will work.  They say that if the boards
>>are NDIS compatable, then it will work.  Any experience or suggestions?
>
>NDIS drivers definately exist and are tested for the StarLAN boards as
>AT&T's Stargroup software is LAN Manager based.  Or, as Russ Nelson
>suggested, you can use the Clarkson University StarLAN packet driver.

Leo and Russ are both correct. NDIS and Packet Drivers are available for
the Starlan family of cards (10baseT, 1base2 and 10base2) and Wollongong's
Win/TCP for DOS will run on either driver.

The Packet Drivers can be obtained from either Russ's archives at Clarkson
or from AT&T (contact your AT&T Computer Systems rep).

If you need to obtain the NDIS driver, you will need to contact
your AT&T rep. You want to get version 3.2.1 or later of AT&T's
NDIS MAC driver (attcsma.dos), (I think Leo tested 3.2.1).

If your AT&T contact dosn't know what's going on, have them contact me. My
AT&T mail id is !jbreeden.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden