[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA and Unshielded Twisted Pair Ethernet?

charles@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Charles) (09/22/90)

 I am going to be testing NCSA Telnet over unshielded twisted pair
ethernet, and I want to use the following;
 Ethernet cards for the PC that are supported with NCSA Telnet and
packet drivers. Also cards that are supported in Dec's PCSA.
 UTP repeater that supports the new/upcoming UTP standards. I would
need to put it on thick ethernet (preferably) or thin ethernet. I also
would prefer to get a repeater that has only a few ports, up to 2 or 3.

 Has anyone had any experience/results with any specific products?
Any info on specific brands and models and vendor/supplier addresses
would be appreciated, as would experiences with other software such
as PC/TCP, or with macs. Thanks,

  Charles Myers

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (09/23/90)

In article <3989@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> charles@umbc3.umbc.edu (Charles) writes:

> I am going to be testing NCSA Telnet over unshielded twisted pair
>ethernet, and I want to use the following;
> Ethernet cards for the PC that are supported with NCSA Telnet and
>packet drivers. Also cards that are supported in Dec's PCSA.

1. The current release of NCSA talk directly to:

AT&T Starlan10 (10baseT UDP)
3Com 501,503
UB NIC
Micom
Western Digital
PC Appletalk card

2. Packet drivers are available for:

AT&T Starlan10
3Com 501,503
UB NIC
Western Digital

3. DECnet (DLL) drivers are available for:

AT&T Starlan10
3Com 501,503
UB NIC
Western Digital
Micom

AT&T, 3Com, and WD all have 10baseT Draft 10 UDP cards currently on the
market (and all will interoperate with each other). The only one of these
that I've had experience with in all the combinations above (ie: raw to
NCSA, packet drivers, DECnet/PCSA (and NDIS)) is the AT&T card - and it
works just fine.

> UTP repeater that supports the new/upcoming UTP standards. I would
>need to put it on thick ethernet (preferably) or thin ethernet. I also
>would prefer to get a repeater that has only a few ports, up to 2 or 3.

AT&T makes a Draft 10 compliant 1 port concentrator (ie: repeater) that is
thin-net to UTP, it's called the Starlan10 Coax Adapter.

Saw a prototype for a 5 port hub last week from a company called Canary
Systems (they are startup somewhere in Silicon Valley, Calif.). It's about
5"x8"x1" and Draft 10 complient.

> Has anyone had any experience/results with any specific products?
>Any info on specific brands and models and vendor/supplier addresses
>would be appreciated, as would experiences with other software such
>as PC/TCP, or with macs. Thanks,

Everything runs on PC/TCP. ahhhh...what's a mac? :-)

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden