[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PC-NFS over SLIP line

DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) (09/18/90)

Does anyone have a version of PC-NFS running over a SLIP line?  I know this
sounds a bit absurd, running over a serial port, but I'd like to set up
a NNTP client, and I can't seen to get ka9q working with nntp.
-----
Daniel R. Jeuch                   Microsoft Corp. Student Rep.
10 Vario Blvd., Box 185           DRJ100@PSUVM, drj100@psuvm.psu.edu
State College, PA  16803
(814) 867-4622, (800) 232-5129

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (09/22/90)

In article <90260.201632DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu>, DRJ100@psuvm.psu.edu (Daniel R. Jeuch) writes:
> Does anyone have a version of PC-NFS running over a SLIP line?  I know this
> sounds a bit absurd, running over a serial port, but I'd like to set up
> a NNTP client, and I can't seen to get ka9q working with nntp.

Believe it or not (I couldn't the first time I read it), PC-NFS 3.0 from
SUN does have drivers to run NFS over Dialup SLIP.  The manual says it
can be done, but its on the to-do list here, so I don't know if it
actually works.  Good luck.  Please write back if you get it to run!

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #5:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall    sh> drink <bottle; opener    pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (09/23/90)

    Believe it or not (I couldn't the first time I read it), PC-NFS 3.0 from
    SUN does have drivers to run NFS over Dialup SLIP.  The manual says it
    can be done, but its on the to-do list here, so I don't know if it
    actually works.  Good luck.  Please write back if you get it to run!

I've used Interdrive (our NFS client) over SLIP, and I've also used dial-up
SLIP (but not NFS over dial-up SLIP).  If I were using NFS over dial-up
SLIP, I'd make sure that both ends were sending (and checking) UDP
checksums.  Interdrive does this; I don't know about PC-NFS or BW-NFS.
Enabling UDP checksums can require source or special object modules on some
hosts (Sun & Solbourne at least), or can be as simple as patching a single
location in the kernel (Ultrix, Encore, others).

If my experience is any guide, the PC will be simple to configure, and
everything will work fine once you figure out the proper magic invocations
on the host.  Of course, this last may be hard to do - I still don't know
why 'slattach' rejects one of our dialups because it can't do the 'set line
discipline' ioctl().  Such is life in the innards of Unix...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (09/24/90)

In article <9009222311.AA21050@ftp.com> jbvb@ftp.com writes:

>    Believe it or not (I couldn't the first time I read it), PC-NFS 3.0 from
>    SUN does have drivers to run NFS over Dialup SLIP.  The manual says it
>    can be done, but its on the to-do list here, so I don't know if it
>    actually works.  Good luck.  Please write back if you get it to run!
>
>I've used Interdrive (our NFS client) over SLIP, and I've also used dial-up
>SLIP (but not NFS over dial-up SLIP).  If I were using NFS over dial-up
>SLIP, I'd make sure that both ends were sending (and checking) UDP
>checksums.  Interdrive does this; I don't know about PC-NFS or BW-NFS.
>Enabling UDP checksums can require source or special object modules on some
>hosts (Sun & Solbourne at least), or can be as simple as patching a single
>location in the kernel (Ultrix, Encore, others).

	BWNFS does incomming and outgoing UDP checksums. I bleieve PC-NFS
from Sun does incomming, but does not do outgoing.

	- Carl Beame

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (09/26/90)

Quoth jbvb@ftp.com (in <9009222311.AA21050@ftp.com>):
#If my experience is any guide, the PC will be simple to configure, and
#everything will work fine [...]

Fine, but s-l-o-w-l-y. RPC tends to be a relative poor match for
low speed networks. I remember an incident during the early in-house
SQA of PC-NFS SLIP, over a 9600 baud link. A neophyte SQA person
complained that it was taking an inordinate length of time to
run a particular test - loading WordPerfect from the net. I pointed out
that 9600 baud is three orders of magnitude slower than the Ethernet
he was used to, and that people don't often encounter 1000:1 ratios
in everyday life. [Imagine walking 1000 times faster than usual, or
typing 1000 times slower!] We redesigned the tests! (Mind you,
Word Perfect did indeed load - eventually.......)

Geoff

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
   *** "Now is no time to speculate or hypothecate, but rather a time ***
   *** for action, or at least not a time to rule it out, though not  ***
   *** necessarily a time to rule it in, either." - George Bush       ***