[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NNTP news readers for MSDOS?

xev@GTE.COM (Xev Gittler) (09/27/90)

I think this was posted recently, but does anyone know of an NNTP
based news reader for MSDOS?

Mail responses preferred.

--
					Xev Gittler
					xev@bunny.gte.com

peterh@gollum.uio.no (Peter Hausken) (09/28/90)

xev@GTE.COM (Xev Gittler) Writes:

>I think this was posted recently, but does anyone know of an NNTP
>based news reader for MSDOS?
>
>Mail responses preferred.

At Baylor's archive (bmc.tmc.edu) in the /nfs directory there are two
NNTP based news readers for PC-NFS.

news.exe.uu     from baylor

netnews.tar.Z   from University of Oslo, Norway

I use the last one every day to read news and it works perfectly allright
in our environment. It has the ability to Read, Post, Followup (via NNTP),
and Reply (via SMTP). There is one more thing to be done with it and that
is adding a fullscreen userinterface. The current version is lineoriented.
Maybe someone like to add a MS-Windows 3.0 interface as well?

NetNews -   a NNTP based News program based on PC-NFS.

Copyright (c) 1990 Kjetil Otter Olsen, Univ.of Oslo, Norway.
	      All rights reserved.

	Please use and enjoy this program, but dont try to sell it!!

NetNews can collect News from a NNTP server and present it to the user.
It can also post messages via NNTP, answer messages via NNTP and send
personal answers via SMTP.

This is the English documentation for NetNews v.1.1x.
A Norwegian version of this document exists. Contact the author if you
need it. Se below for address.

	What do you need?

You need a PC with PC-NFS. Preferably using ethernet as physical network
and using YP for authentication.

You must be "logged in" on the PC with NET NAME. ( nobody doesn't work..)

PC-NFS LifeLine Mail is not a must, but it is recomended.

NetNews is only tested using ethernet, it may work with SLIP.

NetNews is only tested using YP, it may work without.

	How to install.

Make the disk / directory with the distribution of NetNews your current
directory. Then enter INSTALL. The install-program will then check and
set up your environment. It will also make the apropriate directories
and copy the programfiles to the correct places.

If more than one user is going to use NetNews on the PC, you may add
additional users with the NEW-USER program.

Remember that it is the currently logged in user that is installed.

	What is what in NetNews?

The distribution includes a number of files. The following files should
be put in the path ( preferably the %NFSDRIVE%:\NFS directory ).

NETNEWS.EXE		The program itself.
SMTPSEND.EXE		A SMTP utility.
NN.BAT			A startup-file.
TED.COM			A small and fast editor from PC Magazine.
TED.DOC			"Documentation" for TED.

In NN.BAT the correct DOS-variables can be set ( and reset ).

Normally the editor you choose will be spesified in the NFSMAIL.RC file,
or by using the DOS-variable NEWSEDIT. If none of these exist, TED is used.
This editor is used to edit outgoing mail and is a must if you plan to post.
The spesified editor must be an ASCII editor which can take the filename
as a parameter. As a simple but good editor, TED from PC Magazine is
supplied. It was choosen because of its tiny size and great speed.
Personally i prefer FreEMACS..

In addition to that, a number of datafiles are needed to keep information
from session to session. At the Univerity of Oslo we use PC-NFS LifeLine Mail,
so the datafiles are located in the %NFSDRIVE%:\NFSMAIL\<username>
directory. This directory is created by the LifeLine configuration programs
INSTALL and NEW-USER.

The files:

NFSMAIL.RC		The .rc file from LifeLine mail. NetNews uses
			information from this file.
NETNEWS.RC		The .rc file for the NetNews program. Contains
			the name of the newsgroups.

All the programfiles and spesifications of the other files is included in
this distribution.

In addition to these files, you may have a signature-file named
SIGNATUR.NN placed together with the two .RC files. This signaturefile
can then be appended to outgoing mail by NetNews.

	How do I start NetNews ?

Now you can start NetNews via the NN.BAT startup-file.
Just enter NN and you are on your way.

	How do i control NetNews?

NetNews has 2 command levels. Level 1 deals with groups and level 2 deals
with articles within one group. You choose your group to read at level 1,
and then you read the articles on level 2.

The 2 levels has different prompts.
Level 1 : ----------< * >
Level 2 : ---< * >>
The * will be replaced with a character indicating which command will be
executed if you just press <ENTER>.

	The simplest way.

Just keep on pressing <ENTER>. NetNews will then take you through all
your unread News.

But NetNews har a lot of different commands in addition to these. A short
description follows.

	Level 1 commands:

r	read this group. ( This will take you to level 2 )
r#	read article number # only. ( Returns to level 1 )

c	catch up. mark all articles in this group as read.

l	list unread articles in this group.
ltxt	list unread articles in this group, containing txt.
L	List all articles in this group.
Ltxt	List all articles in this group, containing txt.

G	list newsgroups in NETNEWS.RC.
u	list newsgroups in NETNEWS.RC with unread articles.

g#	goto group number #. This number is internal to NetNews and
	can be seen by using the G or u commands. ( First collumn )

n	next newsgroup
ntxt	goto next newsgroup which name contains the string txt.
	Example: npc  will bring you to a group with pc in the name.
b	to the beginning. ( To the first newsgroup, like the g0 command )
p	previus newsgroup.
N	next newsgroup with unread articles.

w[#|date]
	List all new newsgroups on the server.
	w      	gives you new groups from the past 7 days.
	w#     	where # is } digit from 1 to 9 gives
		you all the new groups in the past # weeks.
	wdate	where date is on the form YYMMDD gives
		you all the new groups sicne date.

Wtxt	List all newsgroups on the server matching the string txt. This is
	the only way to examine which newsgroups the server has.
	Example: Wpc   gives you all the pc related groups.
		 W.    gives you all the groups...

agrp	add grp to your NETNEWS.RC file.
Xgrp	remove grp from your NETNEWS.RC file.

m	compose and post an article to the current newsgroup.
mgrp	compose and post an article to grp.

q	quit normally.
Q	quit normally and sort the newsgroups alphabetically.
x	abort ( Changes to NETNEWS.RC is lost )

!command	Execute DOS command.
?		HELP
h		HELP

	Level 2 commands:

r	read this article.
r#	goto and read article number #.

q	quit level 2 and return to level 1.

sfilename	save current article in a file.
Sfilename	save body of current article in a file.

p	goto previous article
n	goto next article.
b	goto the beginning ( the first article on the server )

f	follow-up. Lets you compose and send an answer to the group.
F	Follow-up. Like f, but includes the original article in the answer.

a	personal answer. Lets you compose and send a personal answer
	by using SMTP. A Cc: is sent to you.
A	personal answer. Like a, but includes the original article.

In addition level 2 has the following commands that are equal to level 1.

l, L, !, c, m, ? and h.

	Notes on composing and posting.

When you choose the m, f, F, a or A command, your editor is called upon
to let you compose a message. To post the message, you save it from your
editor ( TED does that when you exit with F7 ). You will then be asked:

What next( s=send, S=send Signature, e=edit, other=cancel):

s will just post your message, S will add your signature from the
signature-file and then post it. e will let you reedit the message.
Any other command will discard the message!

When using the a or A command, you may edit the headers by editing the
file   C:\TMP\HEADFILE.TXT. To do this you will need an editor with
capabilities of editing several files at the same time, FreEMACS is a
good example of such an editor. But be careful, any errors in the header
will cause the message to be discarded.

	What can you change?

Some of the program  variables can be altered by use of DOS-variables.
The NNTPHOST is mentioned above. In addition to that, the names of the
datafiles can be set independently ( but the directory must remain the
same ). The DOS-variables are :

MAILRC 		for the NFSMAIL.RC file
NEWSRC 		for the NETNEWS.RC file
SIGNFILE 	for the signature file ( SIGNFILE.NN )
MEWSEDIT 	for the editor. This will override the editor choice in the
		MAILRC-file.

	Making the datafiles by hand.

Some people may want to make the installation by hand. This chapter
describes how to do that.

First thing to do is to make the NETNEWS.RC file. You can get a file
containing ALL the groups on the server by entering NN -f FILE.RC
where FILE.RC will contain all the groups. You must then use an editor to
remove those groups that does not interest you. This can be quite an
effort, because most servers have > 1000 groups !! An alternative
approach is to use the NETNEWS.RC file made by install. It contains
just a few newsgroups, but can act as  a base for further
expansion. The W command can be used to get an overview of the groups on
the server.Please note that the current version of NetNews support a
maximum of 128 groups only. Additional groups will just be removed.

Secondly you must set up the NFSMAIL.RC file. If you are currently using
PC-NFS LifeLine Mail, this is already done. If you must create it by
yourself, the format of the file is as follows:

key               value

Very simple.... The keyvalues that is important is :

mailhost		Which host to sent mail to with SMTP.
domain			What is the name of the domain
editor			What editor to use.

As an example, you may look at the NFSMAIL.RC file made by INSTALL or
NEW-USER.

Finaly, in the NN.BAT file, you must spesify your NNTP-server. This is
done by setting the DOS-variable NNTPHOST to the correct value. The value
must be a server name ( and not an IP-number ).

SOURCE:

System administrators may contact the author if they want the source
for NetNews.

BUGS:

No known bugs at the moment. :-)

Please report all found bugs to the author! Any suggestions for further
improvments are also welcome.

NOTES:

PC-NFS and PC-NFS LifeLine are trademarks of SUN MicroSystems Inc.

TED is Copyright (c) 1988 Ziff Communications, PC Magazine, Tom Kihlken.

The Netnews-program was inspired by the RED-program contained in the PCIP
package. The first prototype was based directly on RED. The current version
contains very little of RED, but to the authors of RED and PCIP; Thank
you very much.

AUTHOR:

NetNews is written by:
Kjetil Otter Olsen
Central Computing Service
University of Oslo, Norway

Comments by E-mail to:

kjetilo@gollum.uio.no  or   otter@ifi.uio.no

or by "snail-mail" to:

KJETIL OTTER OLSEN
U S E
POSTBOX 1059, BLINDERN
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY

or maybe even by phone: +47 2 45 34 88 or fax: +47 2 45 57 70

lcz@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Lee Ziegenhals) (09/29/90)

peterh@gollum.uio.no (Peter Hausken) writes:

>At Baylor's archive (bmc.tmc.edu) in the /nfs directory there are two
>NNTP based news readers for PC-NFS.

>news.exe.uu     from baylor

>netnews.tar.Z   from University of Oslo, Norway

I just tried to grab netnews.tar.Z, and the archive server says that it is not
there.  My request was "send nfs netnews.tar.Z".

Is that file still there?  Am I doing something wrong?  If it is no longer
there, is there some other place it is available from?

Thanks!
Lee Ziegenhals (lcz@sat.datapoint.com)