[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Help using ka9q to protect sources

nash@vi.ri.cmu.edu (Richard Nash) (09/25/90)

My company has just recieved our connection to the internet. We are very
concerned about securing our business information and source code from
outside reading and it is felt that the best way to do this is to seperate
ourselves into two nets. Secure and open...

So I have two questions...

1> Is it possible to further subclass a Class-C address. Can I have my
   netmask be 255.255.255.192 so that I have 2 bits of network info and
   6 bits to specify the hosts? If so, I do I configure the ka9q net.exe
   program to route between my internal networks?

2> Can I have the route between the secure and open networks simply disallow
   any traffic except relatively inoccuous things like mail? Does the ka9q
   package allow me to do this?

   I have set up the ka9q package and got it to accept both cards through
   the attach command. I can ftp from the router PC to either side of the
   network, but I can't seem to get through the router. From one side to
   the other. Can anyone help?

Rich Nash
nash@vi.ri.cmu.edu
--

Richard V. Nash
nash@vi.ri.cmu.edu

dd@ariel.unm.edu (Don Doerner) (09/29/90)

In article <10560@pt.cs.cmu.edu> nash@vi.ri.cmu.edu (Richard Nash) writes:

> [...]
>
> So I have two questions...
>
> 1> Is it possible to further subclass a Class-C address. Can I have my
>    netmask be 255.255.255.192 so that I have 2 bits of network info and
>    6 bits to specify the hosts? If so, I do I configure the ka9q net.exe
>    program to route between my internal networks?

This could work but for a single problem:  to get two subnets, you must
allow two bits of subnet in your last octet.  You cannot use x.y.z.0 thru
x.y.z.63, you can use x.y.z.64 thru x.y.z.127, you can use x.y.z.128 thru
x.y.z.191, but you cannot use x.y.z.192 thru x.y.z.255.

This throws away half of your address space, but the bottom line is that
you cannot use subnet 0, nor subnet 2**n-1, where n is the number of bits
you allocate for your subnetting scheme.  Me?  I personally think this
portion of the RFCs is nonsense, but that's probably because I haven't yet
been able to figure out a reason that it shouldn't work.  But the RFC says
so, and it is the protocol specification for the protocol you have
chosen...

Now the next problem is that the host portion of the network address is
subject to similar constraints:  can neither be 0, nor can it be 2**m-1,
where m is the number of bits you allocate for your host.  This means that
x.y.z.64 is not usable, nor is x.y.z.127, nor x.y.z.128, nor x.y.z.191.
These are easier to understand:  2**m-1 is reserved as an IP brooadcast
address, and 0 has historically been a broadcast in some early
implementations of the protocol suite.

All in all, I think you will want to apply for a second class C address.
But in theory, you've got it right...

> 2> Can I have the route between the secure and open networks simply
disallow
>    any traffic except relatively inoccuous things like mail? Does the
ka9q
>    package allow me to do this?

Don't know about the KA9Q package.  CISCO routers let you do this (we use
a lot of them), so I suspect that there are similar access control
mechanisms available in most router implementations.

>    I have set up the ka9q package and got it to accept both cards through
>    the attach command. I can ftp from the router PC to either side of
the
>    network, but I can't seem to get through the router. From one side to
>    the other. Can anyone help?

I can't help with this, sorry!

Don Doerner, Communication Manager
University of New Mexico CIRT

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (10/02/90)

The issue with reserving subnet bit values of all-zeroes and all-ones has
its roots in the concept of the "all subnets broadcast".  In other words,
if I have net 128.127.0.0 and 8 bits of subnet, the destination address
128.127.255.255 means "broadcast this packet on all subnets of 128.127".
A destination of 128.127.50.255 means "broadcast this only on subnet
128.127.50".

So why is zero magic, too?  At the time that the HRRFC was in the works, there
were still a *lot* of 4.2-based systems out there, and the group was more
than a little afraid of their propensity for broadcast storms (4bsd is also
the reason that the whole class A address space of 127.0.0.0 is reserved).

In the future, if IP multicast becomes wildely supported, the concept of
an "all subnets" broadcast will probably become obsolete (I don't know of
anything other than perhaps a few locally-written applications that actually
uses it in any case).  In the mean time, if you don't have 4.2-derived systems
around (even some SysVs and other non-Unix OSes like 0.0.0.0 as the broadcast
address), you can probably safely use the zero subnet.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901