[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] IBM's OS/2 TCP/IP

JAY@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU ("Justice, James E.") (10/03/90)

I am installing a test version of IBM's OS/2 TCP/IP. The old version not
the new  that will be available  this month. I am  having some problems.
Please help! If this test goes well,  we may order several copies of the
new version.

I am  installing the software  on a  PS/2 16Mz Model  70. The PC  has an
Ungerman Bass NIUps board in it.  I have edited the PROTOCOL.INI file in
CMLIB and changed BINDINGS=TCMAC2 to be BINDINGS=UBMAC. The defaults are
Memorywindow=D8000,  IO_port= 0x350,  and  IRQ=4. These  numbers do  not
work. When I boot the system, I get the following messages:

UBMAC$: Intionalization started

UBMAC: Either there are no enabled NIUps adapters, or they are all
       reserved by other UBMAC$ drivers.

UBMAC: Initionalization failed

Etherand Network support is being initialized.

After getting up, TCPSTART fails because INET does not come up.

The D8000 is not even the default for the UB card. Its default is D0000,
which can be changed to D8000. The IRQ default for the card is 3 and the
IO_port default is 1550h. The card will  not let reset the IRQ! The card
will only  use IO_ports  of 1550,  1554, 1558, and  1562. The  card uses
groups of four I/O  ports. I can't use any of  these addresses because I
get an invalid IO_PORT specification. When  I try and change the default
port value in PROTOCOL.INI from 0x350 to 0x1550, UBMAC complains at boot
time of an invalid value.

I have  this PC and card  working fine in  the DOS window with  NCSA. In
NCSA, the I/O  port is allowed to  be 1550, the memory window  has to be
whatever the  card is  configured for,  and the IRQ  value is  three. If
anyone has any experience with this configuration or even some ideas let
me know.

I have the following in config.sys:

  DEVICE=C:\CMLIB\LANDD.SYS
  DEVICE=C:\CMLIB\PROTMAN.OS2 /I:C:\CMLIB
  DEVICE=C:\CMLIB\UBNIUDRV.OS2
  DEVICE=C:\CMLIB\ETHERDD.SYS CFG=C:\CMLIB\JAY.CFG
  RUN=C:\CMLIB\ACSEPSYS.EXE
  RUN=C:\CMLIB|NETBIND.EXE

In JAY.CFG, I have changed the defaults to be:

  Transmit Buffer Size.....1496.
  Receive Buffer Size.......256.
  Minimum Receive Buffers....25.
  Number of Queue Elements..800.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I am also trying to get this beast
to work  on a PS2 Model 55SX with a 3COM  card. In this case  no changes
have  to  be made  to  PROTOCOL.INI,  and it  comes  up  with out  error
messages.  INET still  fails with  the message  that it  could not  find
adapter 0.

oleg@ibm.com (10/04/90)

From:         seifert@RALVMM.IINUS1.IBM.COM
Date:         Tue, 2 Oct 90 10:38:01 EDT

Ref:     Append of 10/01/90 at 16:11:23 GMT (by INTEREST at ALMVMA)

To use an Ungerman-Bass adapter on a PS/2 mod 70 with OS/2 EE you
should only modify the "Bindings =" statement in the PROTOCOL.INI
file (i.e. Bindings=UBMAC).  I think if you put the IRQ, memory window,
and I/O port information back to the defaults you will be OK (there
is more to do if you are using 2 ethernet adapters).

You should also be sure the CONFIG.SYS has the following DEVICE and RUN
statements.  Example:

DEVICE=LANDD.SYS
DEVICE=PROTMAN.OS2 /I:\CMLIB
DEVICE=UBNIUDRV.OS2
DEVICE=ETHERDD.SYS CFG=YourConfig.CFG
RUN=ACSEPSYS.EXE
RUN=NETBIND.EXE

Where YourConfig.CFG is a copy of CMLIB\ACSFGUS.CFG with the following
modifications (everything else defaults):

Transmit Buffer Size.....1496.
Receive Buffer Size.......256.
Minimum Receive Buffers....25.

Paul Seifert