[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] packet driver for Token Ring ??

tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) (09/29/90)

I have investigated the PCRoute program (in fact, just posted a message
detailing how to get), but find that I myself need something similar, but
which will pull TCP-IP data off of our IBM Token Ring (OS/2 Lan server
for the networking software) and pass it on to a Cisco box.

The in-between-router (I don't know a better term -- feel free to correct me)
obviously has to be physically part of the Ring, and so will require at
least 1 token adapter card; as for the other half, I am happy to go either
Token Ring, or Ethernet out to the Cisco box--the Cisco already has a
Token Ring card, but it needs replacing anyhow.  (the current card is 4
mbps, and our ring is 16 mbps.)  I appreciate any suggestions on software
which would do this for me.

Additionally, I understand from some research, that there may be a way to
have some other machine (maybe our file server) do the routing to the
Cisco box, rather than dedicating another machine to do it.  I would also
appreciate any suggestions on this front.

Thanks,

Phil Tracy
tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
(312) 908-1536
Academic Computing & Network Services
Northwestern University

rick@ut-emx.uucp (Rick Watson) (10/03/90)

In article <225@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
> I have investigated the PCRoute program (in fact, just posted a message
> detailing how to get), but find that I myself need something similar, but
> which will pull TCP-IP data off of our IBM Token Ring (OS/2 Lan server
> for the networking software) and pass it on to a Cisco box.

I've used ka9q with packet drivers very successfully to route IP betwen
a token-ring and etheret.

I believe there is also a version of pcroute around that supports
packet drivers.

I believe that cisco will be announcing a 16M token ring board
sometime.  Using a cisco to route (and/or source-route bridge)
a token-ring (currently 4M) works great too.

Rick Watson
The University of Texas Computation Center, 512/471-3241
   internet: rick@digate.cc.utexas.edu       bitnet: watson@utadnx
   uucp:     ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!rick   span:   utspan::utadnx::watson

meyer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Don Meyer) (10/04/90)

rick@ut-emx.uucp (Rick Watson) writes:

>In article <225@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
>> I have investigated the PCRoute program (in fact, just posted a message
>> detailing how to get), but find that I myself need something similar, but
>> which will pull TCP-IP data off of our IBM Token Ring (OS/2 Lan server
>> for the networking software) and pass it on to a Cisco box.
>>

>I've used ka9q with packet drivers very successfully to route IP betwen
a token-ring and etheret.

But are you using the packet drivers on a network with DOS Lan Requestors for
the LAN Server network?  I have tried this, and although using the most up-to-
date drivers at the time (July) I was unable to start both the packet driver
and the DOS Lan Requestor at the same time.  Has anyone else had better luck
with this approach?

Don

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
	Don Meyer		internet:	dlmeyer@uiuc.edu

"He who restricts another's right to self-defense is accomplice to
 any crime committed because of the lack of self defense."

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct3.170100.29653@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> meyer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Don Meyer) writes:
>rick@ut-emx.uucp (Rick Watson) writes:
>
>>In article <225@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
>>> I have investigated the PCRoute program (in fact, just posted a message
>>> detailing how to get), but find that I myself need something similar, but
>>> which will pull TCP-IP data off of our IBM Token Ring (OS/2 Lan server
>>> for the networking software) and pass it on to a Cisco box.
>>>

>>I've used ka9q with packet drivers very successfully to route IP betwen
>a token-ring and etheret.
>
>But are you using the packet drivers on a network with DOS Lan Requestors for
>the LAN Server network?  I have tried this, and although using the most up-to-
>date drivers at the time (July) I was unable to start both the packet driver
>and the DOS Lan Requestor at the same time.  Has anyone else had better luck
>with this approach?

Have you tried using the MS-DOS NDIS drivers that IBM released in September
for MS-Net along with FTP's dis_pkt.dos NDIS packet driver interface?

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

meyer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Don Meyer) (10/10/90)

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:

>In article <1990Oct3.170100.29653@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> meyer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Don Meyer) writes:
>>
>>But are you using the packet drivers on a network with DOS Lan Requestors for
>>the LAN Server network?  I have tried this, and although using the most up-to-
>>date drivers at the time (July) I was unable to start both the packet driver
>>and the DOS Lan Requestor at the same time.  Has anyone else had better luck
>>with this approach?

>Have you tried using the MS-DOS NDIS drivers that IBM released in September
>for MS-Net along with FTP's dis_pkt.dos NDIS packet driver interface?

No, I hadn't even heard of it -- I'll have to scold the local IBM rep.

BTW, I'm not using FTP's packet drivers.  Rather I _was_ using the Clarkson
packet drivers with NCSA telnet 2.3betas, and was having excellent luck --
until we switched to IBM LAN Server.  Now we're relegated back to the old
IBM DOS TCP/IP suite.  (Yecchh! :-)