[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Problem with using PC-NFS

ravi@earth.ce.nwu.edu (Ravi Sinha) (10/11/90)

Hi,

We are trying to mount a hard disk on RS6000 on a PC using PC-NFS and
are running into some problems.  On the RS6000, we run pcnfsd which
came as a part of the OS through inetd.  On the PC, Sun's PC-NFS is
used.  However, whenever we try to authenticate the user, we get
a message saying "Authentication failure: Abort, Retry, Ignore?"
We think that the PC is set up correctly as Telnet/FTP etc using
Clarkson package works fine.  Moreover, during experimenting with
the setup, we were able to mount a SparcStation drive on the PC.
Any suggestions regarding what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ravi Sinha			|  As usual, the opinions here
Northwestern University		|  are mine, and only mine.
ravi@earth.ce.nwu.edu		|  Who'd want to claim these anyway?

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (10/15/90)

In article <13217@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ravi@earth.ce.nwu.edu (Ravi Sinha) writes:
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to mount a hard disk on RS6000 on a PC using PC-NFS and
> are running into some problems.  On the RS6000, we run pcnfsd which
> came as a part of the OS through inetd.  On the PC, Sun's PC-NFS is
> used.  However, whenever we try to authenticate the user, we get
> a message saying "Authentication failure: Abort, Retry, Ignore?"
> We think that the PC is set up correctly as Telnet/FTP etc using
> Clarkson package works fine.  Moreover, during experimenting with
> the setup, we were able to mount a SparcStation drive on the PC.
> Any suggestions regarding what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Speaking of RISC6000 NFS problems...

We are running a lab of 50 PCs using SUN's PC-NFS...All but 3 of them
can mount the directories on the RISC server.  The error message says
that the RISC server's hostname is undefined.  I haven't delved into
the problem enough to realize exactly where the problem is, but if
anyone else has run into this, please post or e-mail.

Thanks.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #3:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet