[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Packet Drivers for UB Net/One Ethernet Board

GFX@CU.NIH.GOV (Geoffrey Marsh) (10/16/90)

  I am trying to install the latest and greatest Clarkson telnet
(CUTCP/CUTE 2.2D/2.2TN TC-C) on an IBM PS/2 Model 80 which has an
Ungermann-Bass Net/One card in it as the Ethernet interface.  The
Clarkson UBNIC.COM packet driver does not function properly with the
board, probably since it was meant to run with a UB PC/NIC board.
   Does anyone have or know where to get a packet driver that will
work?
   Thanks in advance.

spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu (D. Robert Spexet II) (10/16/90)

In article <9010151955.AA07954@alw.nih.gov> GFX@CU.NIH.GOV (Geoffrey Marsh) writes:

>  I am trying to install the latest and greatest Clarkson telnet
>(CUTCP/CUTE 2.2D/2.2TN TC-C) on an IBM PS/2 Model 80 which has an
>Ungermann-Bass Net/One card in it as the Ethernet interface.  The
>Clarkson UBNIC.COM packet driver does not function properly with the
>board, probably since it was meant to run with a UB PC/NIC board.
>   Does anyone have or know where to get a packet driver that will
>work?
>   Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know this also.  We have the same board at our site, except that
it sits in a Model 55SX.

Thanks,

-D. Robert Spexet II, Post Office Box 14909, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55414-0909
 Internet:  spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu
 BITNET:    spexet@umnacux.BITNET
 UUCP:	    rutgers!umn-cs!ux.acs.umn.edu!spexet

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (10/16/90)

In article <2457@ux.acs.umn.edu> spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu (D. Robert Spexet II) writes:
>In article <9010151955.AA07954@alw.nih.gov> GFX@CU.NIH.GOV (Geoffrey Marsh) writes:
>>
>>  I am trying to install the latest and greatest Clarkson telnet
>>(CUTCP/CUTE 2.2D/2.2TN TC-C) on an IBM PS/2 Model 80 which has an
>>Ungermann-Bass Net/One card in it as the Ethernet interface.  The
>>Clarkson UBNIC.COM packet driver does not function properly with the
>>board, probably since it was meant to run with a UB PC/NIC board.
>
>I'd like to know this also.  We have the same board at our site, except that
>it sits in a Model 55SX.

You're right, the ISA/NIC packet driver does not work on the ps2/nic. There
are three solutions.

1. Get rid of the MCA boxes :-)

2. Get the UB NDIS driver set (it includes the driver for the ps2/nic). One
time charge of $50 (free, I'm sure to large UB accounts).

                               - OR -

3. Get the AT&T NDIS driver for the AT&T MC100 card (AT&T used to OEM the
ps2/nic).

Obtain dis_pkt.dos from ftp.vax.com (packet driver interface for an NDIS
MAC driver). Run dis_pkt on top of either the UB or AT&T ndis mac drivers.
CUTCP and KA9Q will run on top of this.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

bri@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Brian Holmes) (10/16/90)

>I'd like to know this also.  We have the same board at our site, except that
>it sits in a Model 55SX.

The UB-PC-NIC card is a non-microchannel card.  The 55sx and PS/2 80 are
both microchannel machines.  You are not using a UB-PC-NIC card but
probably a UB-NIC-PS2 card.

--
Brian Holmes
PHONE:    (313) 577-3750  FAX=577-5626          Wayne State University

In article <9010151955.AA07954@alw.nih.gov> GFX@CU.NIH.GOV (Geoffrey Marsh) writes:

     I am trying to install the latest and greatest Clarkson telnet
   (CUTCP/CUTE 2.2D/2.2TN TC-C) on an IBM PS/2 Model 80 which has an
   Ungermann-Bass Net/One card in it as the Ethernet interface.  The
   Clarkson UBNIC.COM packet driver does not function properly with the
   board, probably since it was meant to run with a UB PC/NIC board.

Right, I've renamed ubnic to ubnicpc for the next release.

      Does anyone have or know where to get a packet driver that will
   work?

I'm working on one.  I'll contact you when I've got it working.  If
anyone else wants to be a tester, send me mail...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson