[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3c523 packet drivers -- what's the trick?

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (10/21/90)

HELP!

We're trying to get a few PS/2s running with the packet drivers, and are
having no luck at all.  All we get is a "Timed out initializing board"
message...... and no function!

If anyone out there has this working, PLEASE let me know immediately.  Email
appreciated with hints, tricks, traps, and new code if we need something
other than what we have.  The drivers we have are dated mid-august of this
year.  We really need this working Monday AM!

Thanks MUCH in advance!

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (10/21/90)

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:

>HELP!

>We're trying to get a few PS/2s running with the packet drivers, and are
>having no luck at all.  All we get is a "Timed out initializing board"
>message...... and no function!

I had the same problem last year.  I stumbled onto a work-around that
you probably won't like. :-)  I found that if an old beta version of
the driver was loaded, the machine warm booted and then the new version
loaded, everything worked OK.  Great, eh?

One must assume that some memory location is getting twiddled by one
or the other but I never had time to run this one down.  If you find
out what it takes to make the new ones work, I'd appreciate hearing.
Since terminal emulation is about all a PS/2 is good for, I expect
to run into a couple more someday.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | "The truly ignorant in our society are those people
Radiation Systems, Inc. | who would throw away the parts of the Constitution

In article <1990Oct21.051918.5813@naitc.naitc.com> karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) writes:

   We're trying to get a few PS/2s running with the packet drivers, and are
   having no luck at all.  All we get is a "Timed out initializing board"
   message...... and no function!

The trick is to fetch sun.soe.clarkson.edu:pub/packet-drivers/3c523.com
(in binary mode, of course).  I just got it working in the past week.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson