[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] state of art for telnet over LocalTalk?

jim@nature.berkeley.edu (10/19/90)

What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?

Jim Bradley, CNR Computer Facility, UC Berkeley

anthony@piglet.caltech.edu (Lawrence Anthony) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct18.223515.20711@agate.berkeley.edu> jim@nature.berkeley.edu () writes:

>What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
>with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?
>
>Jim Bradley, CNR Computer Facility, UC Berkeley

i would be interested in obtaining similar information.  in particular,
does ncsa telnet for the pc support localtalk cards?  also, has anyone
had any experience with the (localtalk compatible) speedtalk cards from
EMAC?

thanks in advance.

lawrence anthony

In article <1990Oct18.223515.20711@agate.berkeley.edu> jim@nature.berkeley.edu writes:

   What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
   with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?

Not sure.  Katie Stevens of UCDavis wrote a localtalk packet driver.  I'm
not sure if it's interoperable with your equipment.  But if it is, then you
can use it with any TCP/IP package that supports the packet drivers, i.e.
NCSA Telnet, CUTCP, KA9Q, FTP, Win/TCP, etc...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (10/23/90)

       What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
       with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?

    Not sure.  Katie Stevens of UCDavis wrote a localtalk packet driver.  I'm
    not sure if it's interoperable with your equipment.  But if it is, then
    you can use it with any TCP/IP package that supports the packet drivers,
    i.e. NCSA Telnet, CUTCP, KA9Q, FTP, Win/TCP, etc...

    --russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
    It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

When she got the 'type' value from me for the driver, she mentioned that it
was 'real Appletalk' as opposed to 'fake Ethernet over Appletalk'.  Thus it
requires software which understands Class 5 packet formats & demultiplexing.
Of the packages Russ mentions, KA9Q is the only one I'd bet on.  PC/TCP 2.04
only understands Class 1 (Ethernet).  2.05 (ships this week) will also
understand Class 3 (802.5), Class 6 (SLIP), Class 11 (RFC 1042 on 802.3) and
Class 13 (IP over X.25) Packet Drivers, but not Class 5.

As far as compatibility goes, I believe she used a standard software
interface to IBM PC Appletalk drivers (ATALK.SYS?) which is supplied by a
number of board vendors.  If I recall this correctly, you probably can run
it on most of the available cards.

As a final test of my memory, am I correct in believing that nobody has
ever written an RFC describing standards for sending IP over Appletalk?
If so, somebody should...  I would like to know more about it, since I
am adding a "summary of encapsulation and demultiplexing" for each of
the supported Classes in v1.10 of the PDS.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

08071TCP%MSU@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Doug Nelson) (10/24/90)

>           Katie Stevens of UCDavis wrote a localtalk packet driver.  I'm
>not sure if it's interoperable with your equipment.  But if it is, then you
>can use it with any TCP/IP package that supports the packet drivers, i.e.
>NCSA Telnet, CUTCP, KA9Q, FTP, Win/TCP, etc...

That's not completely true.  I'm sure it works with KA9Q; it doesn't work
with PC/TCP, at least at v2.03.  The localtalk driver uses a new, non-ethernet
driver type.  It might work with more software packages if it used the
ether driver type and faked the ethernet address and ARP stuff.

Doug Nelson
Michigan State University

nelson@IMAGE.SOE.CLARKSON.EDU (Russ Nelson) (10/25/90)

          What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
          with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?

       Not sure.  Katie Stevens of UCDavis wrote a localtalk packet
       driver.  I'm not sure if it's interoperable with your
       equipment.  But if it is, then you can use it with any TCP/IP
       package that supports the packet drivers, i.e. NCSA Telnet,
       CUTCP, KA9Q, FTP, Win/TCP, etc...

   When she got the 'type' value from me for the driver, she mentioned that it
   was 'real Appletalk' as opposed to 'fake Ethernet over Appletalk'.  Thus it
   requires software which understands Class 5 packet formats & demultiplexing.
   Of the packages Russ mentions, KA9Q is the only one I'd bet on.

James is quite right, and I am quite wrong.  You need patches for KA9Q to
get it to use the LocalTalk packet driver.  None of the other packet driver
clients will work with it.

anthony@eeyore.caltech.edu (Lawrence Anthony) (10/25/90)

In article <9010231428.AA17400@ftp.com> jbvb@ftp.com writes:

>       What is the "best" version of public domain telnet that runs
>       with LocalTalkPC cards?   Where can this be ftp'd from?
>
>Of the packages Russ mentions, KA9Q is the only one I'd bet on.

Okay, so where would I get a _compiled_ copy of KA9Q?  (I do not have
access to the necessary Microsoft(?) compilers and assemblers.)  I
ftp'd to thumper.bellcore.com and looked in the subdirectories in
pub/ka9q and saw many .exe, and .arc files but could not figure out
which ones I needed.  Can some kind soul point me in the right direction?

Please e-mail if this topic has been covered here before.

Thanks in advance.

Lawrence Anthony
anthony@csvax.cs.caltech.edu