[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3C503 Packet Driver and PC-NFS

ray@span.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) (10/23/90)

Does there exist a packet driver for the 3C503 that does not require
shared memory to be enabled?  This is so we can use Sun's PC-NFS with
NCSA-Telnet without having to pull the cards, change jumpers, etc.
Sun has said that PC-NFS *will not* work with shared memory enabled.

Thanks.

--
Ray Tripamer
ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (10/23/90)

ray@span.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) writes:
>Does there exist a packet driver for the 3C503 that does not require
>shared memory to be enabled?  This is so we can use Sun's PC-NFS with
>NCSA-Telnet without having to pull the cards, change jumpers, etc.
>Sun has said that PC-NFS *will not* work with shared memory enabled.

Sun's 3c503 driver requires that the shared memory is disabled.
Clarkson's packet driver (which you could ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu)
requires that shared memory is enabled.
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>

ray@little-milton.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) (10/24/90)

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) writes:

>Sun's 3c503 driver requires that the shared memory is disabled.
>Clarkson's packet driver (which you could ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu)
>requires that shared memory is enabled.

I am using Clarkson's packet driver and telnet.  What I need is for the
3C503 packet driver to work with shared memory disabled, so that I can
use it at the same time with Sun's PC-NFS.  So I guess my real question
is:
	Is there a clarkson-like packet driver for the 3C503 that
	works with shared memory disabled?

Thanks.
--
Ray Tripamer
ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

jb@falstaff.mae.cwru.edu (Jim Berilla) (10/25/90)

In article <2104@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) writes:
>ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) writes:
>
>>Sun's 3c503 driver requires that the shared memory is disabled.
>>Clarkson's packet driver (which you could ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu)
>>requires that shared memory is enabled.
>
>I am using Clarkson's packet driver and telnet.  What I need is for the
>3C503 packet driver to work with shared memory disabled, so that I can
>use it at the same time with Sun's PC-NFS.  So I guess my real question
>is:
>	Is there a clarkson-like packet driver for the 3C503 that
>	works with shared memory disabled?
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Ray Tripamer
>ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

I am using PC-NFS with the Clarkson packet drivers on one of my 286's.  I
got a driver from Clarkson (compat.kit?) that allows PC-NFS to use the
packet driver instead of its own driver.  This requires the card to be
configured with shared memory enabled, but if you want to run PC-NFS on
the packet drivers, this will do it.  I had a few problems with running
other software that uses the packet drivers, but those applications weren't
too important and I never tracked down the cause.

Of course, with PC-NFS running, it will grab all of the IP and UDP packets,
and probably some others, too.  This limits the applications that you can
run in parallel with PC-NFS.

There are a few versions of compat.kit around.  The first one I tried
didn't work.  If you have problems, drop me a line and I'll try to find
out where exactly I got the one that works.  (or I could mail it to you).

--
      Jim Berilla / jb@falstaff.cwru.edu / 216-368-6776
"My opinions are my own, except on Wednesday mornings at 9 AM,

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (10/25/90)

Running CU/IP and PC-NFS:

You will not be able to use PC-NFS and Clarkson's (or anyone else's)
TCP/IP package at the same time over a packet driver. PC-NFS is a
TCP/IP package, and the packet driver is designed to demultiplex
between different protocol stacks, not two stacks of the same protocol
type.

There are several TCP/IP packages with NFS on the market today. If Sun's
does not suit you, find one that does. After Sun, you have the choice of
us (FTP Software), Beame & Whiteside, Wollongong(?) and, I believe, one
of the public domain packages.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880