[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] In-Reply-To: WIN TCP R4.1 w/packet driver

ljm@TWG.COM (10/31/90)

>> From: "Charles T. Wolverton"
>>
>> I regularly see references to using WIN TCP w/PD - in fact, there is a
>> file pktdrv.exe (or something like that) in the distribution. What I
>> do not see is anything in the documentation about how to do so. I
>> tried the obvious (??) things like...
>>

> From: "Mark Bramwell"
>
>I have had problems with packet drivers and Wollongong.  I have officially
>complained and Wollongong has acknowledged that their pktdrvr code is broken.
>I was given a report number, but nothing was ever resolved.  We spent $5k for
>the software and unfortunately the free stuff seems much more flexible.

As Charles learned after one of my engineers responed to his query, the
only trick to using the PD drivers with Wollongong's TCP/IP stack is to
give pktdrv.exe the appropriate parameters (in his case the interrupt
vector) and everything works fine.

The only real problem we've ever seen (and we've tested with some of the
'weirder' PD drivers such as the token-ring driver) was a problem a
customer
had when working with an older PD driver supplied by a hardware vendor.
As it turned out, the driver was passing the wrong handle on the second
receiver call (the public domain TCP/IP they were using didn't check and
assumed/hoped that no driver would ever have two receptions outstanding).
The problem was resolved by the vendor updating their driver.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
Manager of Microcomputer Engineering
The Wollongong Group