[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Problem with CONFIGTEL environment variable in NCSA Telnet.

drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.012737.13681@athena.mit.edu> drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:
>I'm trying to install the latest version of NCSA Telnet, and I've hit
>a snag: even if I set the CONFIGTEL environment variable to point
>to my Telnet configuration file, like this:
>
>	set CONFIGTEL=C:\NCSA\CONFIG.TEL
>
>the various programs (ftpbin, telbin, finger, rexec, and the lpr utilities)
>seem to ignore it totally, so that if I run any of them outside of the

I have received several very helpful replies to my query.  It turns out
that the environment variable examined by these utilities is CONFIG.TEL
in version 2.3, as opposed to CONFIGTEL in version 2.2.  A very careful
perusal of the bug fix list revealed that this was the case, although
the README for version 2.3 didn't mention this.

Thanks to:

	Russell Mosemann <mosemann@hoss.unl.edu>
	james@engrss2.unl.edu (James Nau)

	and

	koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Quincey Koziol)

for providing very prompt and helpful responses.

Dave

PS  (To the people at NCSA) Roughly when will a non-beta version of 2.3
Telnet be coming out?  It's a really nice package; if a few of the rough
edges (like documentation) get smoothed over, that would make it even
better.

--
David R. Kohr     M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory      Group 45 ("Radars 'R' Us")
    email:    DRK@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (preferred)  or  KOHR@LL.LL.MIT.EDU

RVGC2@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU ("Ken Wieringo rvgc2@vtvm1.bitnet") (11/02/90)

I may have misunderstood the problem, but it seems to me that the directory
 needs to be in the PATH statement if running under DOS, and maybe other
operating systems. That way the computer will access the proper file upon
request of the telnet session.   Ken

RVGC2@VTVM1.BITNET>>ALSO .CC.VT.EDU >>AND IP 128.173.4.1
PHONES COMMERCIAL AND SCATS 703-857-7584>>FAX 703-857-7371<<
SYSM AT UVA MERCURY U820 >>  IBMMAIL(USVPITMA) <<
2M PACKET AX.25 N4LYO @ N4MGQ.VA.24015.USA>>ARMY MARS AAT3PK/VA TEXN<<
ROANOKE VALLEY GRADUATE CENTER
POST MAIL: 117 W. CHURCH AVE.
ROANOKE, VA. 24011-1905