[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] RPC on sockets on MSDOS?

geske@hpislx.HP.COM (Brent Geske) (11/02/90)

So, with all the recent discussion about how to get TCP/IP running on a PC
with this or that LAN card, how about a slightly different question:

I'd like to be able to create a RPC (Remote Procedure Call) client on a PC
which talks to a Unix server over the LAN.  If I use Sun's RPC code, I need
to have sockets on the PC side (built on top of either TCP or UDP) before I
can use the standard RPC mechanism.

I'm wondering if anyone has ported SUN's RPC code to run on top of some
MSDOS socket layer running on top of some TCP/IP layer?  If not, I'm gonna
port the RPC layer provided I can find a socket layer which "works."

Has RPC been ported?  If not, what's a "good" socket layer to try and get?

Brent A. Geske
geske@hpisla.hp.com

(also, geske%hpisla@hplabs.hp.com)

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (11/06/90)

Sun's development environment for PC-NFS has included RPC functions for
quite a while.  It is for Microsoft C 4.0, all memory models.  Our PC/TCP
Developer's Kit has included the RPC libraries (in source form) since 2.04
came out a year ago, but there have been some reports of problems with large
memory models, which we are fixing in 2.05.  Ours is built with MSC 5.1, but
can be used with 6.0 (the library formats are compatible).  Presumably the
Sun code could be ported to any of the other DOS socket environments, but
I don't know if it has...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

beame@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Beame) (11/07/90)

In article <9370001@hpislx.HP.COM> geske@hpislx.HP.COM (Brent Geske) writes:
>So, with all the recent discussion about how to get TCP/IP running on a PC
>with this or that LAN card, how about a slightly different question:
>
>I'd like to be able to create a RPC (Remote Procedure Call) client on a PC
>which talks to a Unix server over the LAN.  If I use Sun's RPC code, I need
>to have sockets on the PC side (built on top of either TCP or UDP) before I
>can use the standard RPC mechanism.
>
>I'm wondering if anyone has ported SUN's RPC code to run on top of some
>MSDOS socket layer running on top of some TCP/IP layer?  If not, I'm gonna
>port the RPC layer provided I can find a socket layer which "works."
>
>Has RPC been ported?  If not, what's a "good" socket layer to try and get?
>
>Brent A. Geske
>geske@hpisla.hp.com
>
>(also, geske%hpisla@hplabs.hp.com)

 Have you looked at Netwise RPC. Their RPC runs over many TCP/IP for DOS
packages. Their main product is their RPC, so it has to be good.

	- Carl Beame
	Beame@McMaster.CA