[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] QUESTION: Lifeline mail - user name and password?

matthew@ooc.uva.nl (Matthew Lewis) (11/07/90)

Hello,

I just installed PC/NFS 3.0.1 and Lifeline Mail.  We are not running NIS.
I tried the mail part, after getting NFS up and running, and got it to send
fine.  But, even with the POP2 daemon that Sun supplies, reading did not
work.  It keeps telling me that the user name and password are incorrect.
I can not find anywhere to enter such information.  Anybody out there know?

Also, I have seen some discussion about this, but is there a packet driver
for PC/NFS?  The telnet in PC/NFS is not of the best, as far as I can see,
and we would like to be able to run other telnets (or tn3270, for
instance).

Thanks in advance.  Summarizing of course if necessary,

Regards,

Matthew Lewis
--
Matthew Lewis, University of Amsterdam		Grote Bickersstraat 72
+31-20-52 51 220				1013 KS  Amsterdam

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (11/08/90)

In article <15418@slice.ooc.uva.nl> matthew@ooc.uva.nl (Matthew Lewis) writes:
>I just installed PC/NFS 3.0.1 and Lifeline Mail.  We are not running NIS.
>I tried the mail part, after getting NFS up and running, and got it to send
>fine.  But, even with the POP2 daemon that Sun supplies, reading did not
>work.  It keeps telling me that the user name and password are incorrect.
>I can not find anywhere to enter such information.  Anybody out there know?

This may not be your problem, but bear in mind that POP will not work
if your password has spaces in it.  This was a new one to the folks at
Sun when I called them.  The person I talked to didn't realize you
were even allowed to have spaces in passwords.  To be entirely fair
(now that I've had my chance to be nasty) this is apparently intrinsic
to POP, and no fault of Sun's.  I have just been forced to use
underscores, etc. in place of spaces.  Threw me for a loop for quite
some time till the good folks at Sun helped me track it down (see, I
can be nice if I want to.)

An interesting method I have for reading my mail is to mount the mail
spool directory, and directly browse my system mail spool file.  This
allows me to view my mail on my PC, and still have it available from
Unix.  This is a neccesity for me since it allows me continued access
from multiple machines.

			Eric Pilger
			Systems Programmer
			NASA Infrared Telescope Facility