[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Windows 3.0 and PC-NFS

alu@cbnewsk.att.com (Alan Lustiger) (11/06/90)

I remember reading in this group that people were not successful in
getting PC-NFS to work with Windows 3.0. This was after I had already
ordered PC-NFS, and Windows 3 (in Enhanced mode) is a prerequisite
for any PC-NFS-type product for me.

Well, I finally got my copy of PC-NFS. I gingerly installed it,
started up Windows 3.0, and so far everything seems to work OK
given the memory PC-NFS takes up. (The one problem I haven't solved
yet is that Windows thinks that I have 22 disk drives, even though
I set up LASTDRIVE=H in config.sys. Ideas appreciated.)

I'm still a little leery. What problems have people had with this
combination? I'm not running QEMM or anything like that (yet.)
Is my disk going to be trashed soon? Should I count my blessings?

Thanks in advance.
--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ | |             	AT&T Bell Laboratories ERC

act@csc.canberra.edu.au (Andrew Turner) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.192935.12056@cbnewsk.att.com> alu@cbnewsk.att.com (Alan Lustiger) writes:
>I remember reading in this group that people were not successful in
>getting PC-NFS to work with Windows 3.0. This was after I had already
>ordered PC-NFS, and Windows 3 (in Enhanced mode) is a prerequisite
>for any PC-NFS-type product for me.

stuff deleted

We also have PCNFS 3.0.1 running under Win3.  Additionally we are running
NCSA Telnet/FTP and PCPOP using Clarkson Packet Drivers and the compatibility
kit. - All running together. It's early days yet but have seen no real
problems yet.  ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

--
 Andrew Turner   :-)    | E-mail : act@csc.canberra.edu.au
 Comp. Services Centre  | +61 6 2522414 / +61 6 2522401

dave@SAM.CS.OLEMISS.EDU (11/06/90)

There is a package on cica.cica.indiana.edu under the directory
hierarchy ~ftp/pub/pc/win3 (don't remember directory) called
win3-nfs.zip.

This package contains a program which scans each of your DOS logical
drives and marks ones which are actually used correctly and those
which are not used as not available.  This allows Windows 3.0 to work
even when the drives mounted are sparsely allocated (as in C:, H:, S:,
etc).

I have not tested the package, only read the instructions.  However,
this program seems to address the major problems addressed on this
news group.

Hope this info helps.

dave

TAYBENGH@NUSDISCS.BITNET (11/12/90)

>We also have PCNFS 3.0.1 running under Win3.  Additionally we are running
>NCSA Telnet/FTP and PCPOP using Clarkson Packet Drivers and the compatibility
>kit. - All running together. It's early days yet but have seen no real
>problems yet.  ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
>

>--
> Andrew Turner   :-)    | E-mail : act@csc.canberra.edu.au
> Comp. Services Centre  | +61 6 2522414 / +61 6 2522401
> University of Canberra |________________  fax +61 6 2522400
> P.O. Box 1 BELCONNEN ACT 2616 AUSTRALIA |

        For those lucky people who can get PCNFS, win3 and NCSA telnet
working together, could u please list out in detail about the necessary
steps to make them work together? For example, the config.sys, autoexec.bat,
config.tel, packet driver configuration setting? We are using mainly
western digital wd8003e and 3c503 ethernet cards.

        Thanks a lot.

- beng hang tay (email: taybengh@nusdiscs)
  Dept of Info sys. and Comp. Sc.
  National University of Singapore