[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PC/TCP kernel defaults to 4 TCP connections at a time.

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (11/12/90)

Seth, your mail forwarder generates bizarre reverse paths.  I tried to
reply to your message to our support group, but I neglected to read the
header and it bounced as follows:

> From MAILER-DAEMON@harvisr.harvard.edu  Thu Nov  8 17:21:58 1990
> Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
> To: <jbvb@vax.ftp.com>
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 550 <wet!@cca.ucsf.EDU:seth>... Host unknown

Anyway, on the manual page in the Command Reference for the 'kernel', note
the existence of the '-t' switch, which can be used to change the number
of TCP connections allocated at startup.  The maximum you'll get with
local descriptors is around 10 or 12, depending on how many other files
you have open (a program that doesn't need data files can open 15 even if
it doesn't close the stdxxx handles, but you're using ftp_get(), which
implies at least one data file).  Each ftp_open() creates a 'control'
TCP connection, and one more TCP will be needed by ftp_get() for the
'data' connection.

James B. VanBokkelen            26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.               voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901