[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PCNFS vs PC/TCP

mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) (10/31/90)

	We have decided to replace our existing 3COM Share based network
with an NFS based one instead of upgrading to 3COM Open.  We are considering
both Sun's PC-NFS and FTP's PC/TCP.  Asking which is better is probably an
awkward question that really depends on what we want.  Has anyone used both
packages and chosen one over the other?

	We are mainly interested in mounting remove file systems, printing
to network prints, using mail/news, etc.

	Sun uses Lifeline mail and FTP uses vmail and pcmail.  Do these
packages have any major differences?

	Does anyone now if PC-NFS is more robust than PC/TCP, or visa versa?

	Thanks.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'. Georgia Tech Alumnus .'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (11/01/90)

There are number of differences between the packages, some of which may
not matter in your particular situation.  I'll summarize the facts, but
note that I should be assumed to be at least a little biased...

Sun has had print redirection for a long time.  We just added it in 2.05.
Ours has some features theirs doesn't (using LPR to send the job), but they
have some we don't (print on timeout).

Their IP/UDP/NFS TSR is smaller than our combination of TCP/IP kernel TSR
and NFS TSR, but ours can be unloaded from the keyboard.  Sun's NFS is
faster than us on large (> 1Kb) writes.  Their redirector is an INT 21
emulator, ours uses the INT 2F hooks.

We support more hardware drivers, including 802.5.  PC/TCP+ has more
applications than PC-NFS, but you may not need an ICMP-based PING,
3270/VT220 multi-session telnet, or a multi-connection FTP server.  We
don't have a news reader in 2.05, and I don't think Sun has one either.

You can get a version of CUTCP which runs with PC-NFS, but Clarkson's
present policies won't allow the creation of one which runs with PC/TCP.
Many aftermarket products (X servers, fancy terminal emulators, databases)
are available for both transport stacks - ask the vendor.  Our development
environment is for MSC 5.1 and is usable with 6.0, Sun's is for MSC 4.0.

Sun Lifeline mail uses POP2 to talk to a server Sun supplies with the
package.  I don't know if it is in binary form or not, but you'll need
source to make it run on other machines.  I assume that it can use a
freeware POP2 server as well.  PC/TCP's VMAIL command can use POP2, POP3 or
PCMAIL (RFC 1056) to fetch mail, but you have to supply the server, either
building freeware from source or using a supported one supplied by your
host system's vendor.  Presumably, most differences would lie in the
mail user agent, since both schemes use batching protocols to talk to
central mail servers.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/12/90)

In article <9010311943.AA12833@ftp.com> jbvb@ftp.com writes:
>We support more hardware drivers, including 802.5.  PC/TCP+ has more
>applications than PC-NFS, but you may not need an ICMP-based PING,
>3270/VT220 multi-session telnet, or a multi-connection FTP server.  We
>don't have a news reader in 2.05, and I don't think Sun has one either.

There are two news readers for PC-NFS. Once is based on the RED package from
MIT and the other is more sophisticated. Both are available via ftp from
bcm.tmc.edu (look in the NFS directory). They could probably be made to
run under PC/TCP, but I don't have PC/TCP development environment. The
sources to the two packages will be made available this Christmas, so you
can do it yourself then.

>You can get a version of CUTCP which runs with PC-NFS, but Clarkson's
>present policies won't allow the creation of one which runs with PC/TCP.
>Many aftermarket products (X servers, fancy terminal emulators, databases)
>are available for both transport stacks - ask the vendor.  Our development
>environment is for MSC 5.1 and is usable with 6.0, Sun's is for MSC 4.0.

Actually, I build PC-NFS applications using MSC 5.1. One minor change is needed
to one header file in the PC-NFS toolkit. I have also used MSC 6.0 with good
success thus far. Sun will provide the documentation on the header change if
you want to do this.

PC-NFS does not allow a large number of sockets to be open at one time. This
makes X servers kinda hard to use. PC/TCP allows many more open sessions.

>Sun Lifeline mail uses POP2 to talk to a server Sun supplies with the
>package.  I don't know if it is in binary form or not, but you'll need
>source to make it run on other machines.  I assume that it can use a
>freeware POP2 server as well.

Sun provides the source to the POP2 daemon. Once that works with LifeLine and
with the Mac POPmail stack is available from bcm.tmc.edu in the nfs directory.
[There is one extension for LifeLine and a couple for POPmail that needed to
be included.]

By the way, you might want to look at the newsgroup "comp.protocols.nfs"
There are frequent discussions about the various PC products that implement
the NFS client protocols.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (11/13/90)

tmc.edu!sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>>In article <9010311943.AA12833@ftp.com> jbvb@ftp.com writes:
>>3270/VT220 multi-session telnet, or a multi-connection FTP server.  We
>>don't have a news reader in 2.05, and I don't think Sun has one either.
>
>There are two news readers for PC-NFS. Once is based on the RED package from
>MIT and the other is more sophisticated. Both are available via ftp from
>bcm.tmc.edu (look in the NFS directory). They could probably be made to
>run under PC/TCP, but I don't have PC/TCP development environment. The
>sources to the two packages will be made available this Christmas, so you
>can do it yourself then.

RED is already available for PC/TCP.  I would not, yet, consider this
adequate to say "we have a news reader."  We have just started testing
it.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (11/14/90)

    Actually, I build PC-NFS applications using MSC 5.1....

We had reports of problems with our MSC 4.0 libraries when used with 5.1,
which was one reason we upgraded.  I didn't know they could be avoided...