[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Answers to Novell Shell Questions.

KELLY@DCSPROD.BYU.EDU (Kelly McDonald) (11/10/90)

There have been many questions as to the status of the BYU shell
driver that we developed for running Novell IPX protocols over the
packet driver interface.  Perhaps the following can help to clarify
the status of the product.

1.  We developed the program and initially made it available for
non-commercial purposes.  This is the version 2.01 that is floating
around the network.

2.  We enhanced the program to not require that the file servers
be econfiged, fixed a bunch of bugs, and made it compatible with
Windows 3.0.  This is version 3.20.  Atlantix Inc. exclusively
licensed the program and made it part of their Coconet product.

3.  Initially, they were going to sell the BYU shell driver
separately, but decided against it. Therefore, I personally licensed back
from them distribution rights to distribute the shell driver to
universities.  They still dictate price, and the license agreement.
However, if someone at a university wants further information,
I can be contacted at:

  Kelly McDonald
  150 N. 1080 E.
  Provo, Utah  84602
  (801) 375-7131

We have a contractual agreement with Atlantix to keep the code
current with Novell products for the next two years.  However,
these enhancements will not be placed in the version 2.x code that
is now generally available, only in the version 3.x code that
Atlantix has, and what I have licensed to distribute.

The 'lost connection' problem, (at least one cause of the problem)
mentioned earlier on the list has been fixed in the 3.x code.

Kelly McDonald
<kelly@iss.byu.edu>

brian@cimage.com (Brian Kelley) (11/15/90)

In article <58271534@iss.byu.edu> KELLY@DCSPROD.BYU.EDU (Kelly McDonald) writes:
>There have been many questions as to the status of the BYU shell
>driver that we developed for running Novell IPX protocols over the
>packet driver interface.  Perhaps the following can help to clarify
>the status of the product.

[ Additional text about BYU selling out deleted ]

And people wonder why I'm in favor of Copylefting ;-)

---
brian@cimage.com