[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Problem with NCSA release 2.3b11 of FTP program.

drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) (11/02/90)

I have just gotten version 2.3b11 of NCSA Telnet up and running,
and everything seems pretty good, except for a serious problem
I've encountered with the FTP program: when I log in and do
a "put" command to transfer from my PC to a Sun host (running
Sun/OS 4.0.3), about two hashmarks ("#") appear, then the transfer
hangs up.  The Sun shows the file as 0-length.  I can ^C-Break
to stop FTP, but shortly afterwards my PC usually locks up,
requiring a reboot.  I'm using version 7.0 of the Clarkson packet
drivers for the 3-Com 3C505 Ethernet board on the PC, which is
a CompuAdd 12 Mhz. clone.  The FTP "get" and "mget" commands
seem fine.  The FTP "put" and "mput" used to work just fine
under NCSA v. 2.2.

Have I encountered a new or known bug, or is there perhaps
something wrong with my configuration?

--
David R. Kohr     M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory      Group 45 ("Radars 'R' Us")
    email:    DRK@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (preferred)  or  KOHR@LL.LL.MIT.EDU

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (11/10/90)

drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:

>I have just gotten version 2.3b11 of NCSA Telnet up and running,
>and everything seems pretty good, except for a serious problem
>I've encountered with the FTP program: when I log in and do
>a "put" command to transfer from my PC to a Sun host (running
>Sun/OS 4.0.3), about two hashmarks ("#") appear, then the transfer
>hangs up.  The Sun shows the file as 0-length.
>The FTP "get" and "mget" commands seem fine.

We've experienced this same problem with a 3C503 card.
I emailed telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu but haven't heard back yet.

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    s-klefstad@uiuc.edu

drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.191418.1614@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:
>
>>I've encountered with the FTP program: when I log in and do
>>a "put" command to transfer from my PC to a Sun host (running
>>Sun/OS 4.0.3), about two hashmarks ("#") appear, then the transfer
>>hangs up.  The Sun shows the file as 0-length.
>
>We've experienced this same problem with a 3C503 card.
>I emailed telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu but haven't heard back yet.
>
>Sue Klefstad    s-klefstad@uiuc.edu

Quincey Koziol at NCSA has informed me that they know of this FTP
"put" command bug in v. 2.3b11, and that they expect to have it fixed in
the next beta release, which should be out in "about a month".

In addition, the first non-beta 2.3 release is supposed to be out
"by the end of the year".

Finally, if you absolutely, positively can't live without a working
FTP in the meantime, but want to use the 2.3b11 stuff rather than going
back to the the (almost completely working) 2.2 release, someone has
sent me a patch for this problem which, pending receipt of this person's
permission, I could post here or redistribute by e-mail.

--

macphed@dvinci (Ian MacPhedran) (11/15/90)

From article <1990Nov2.003502.2927@athena.mit.edu>, by drk@athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr):
> I have just gotten version 2.3b11 of NCSA Telnet up and running,
> and everything seems pretty good, except for a serious problem
> I've encountered with the FTP program: when I log in and do
> a "put" command to transfer from my PC to a Sun host (running
> Sun/OS 4.0.3), about two hashmarks ("#") appear, then the transfer
> hangs up.
> Have I encountered a new or known bug, or is there perhaps
> something wrong with my configuration?

I seem to have the same problem here with this release. The transfer fails
both with the 3C501 and decnet drivers (built-in drivers).

I would say there is a bug still here.

Ian.

Ian MacPhedran, Engineering Computer Centre, University of Saskatchewan.
2B13 Engineering Building, U. of S. Campus, Saskatoon, Sask., CANADA S7N 0W0
macphed@dvinci.USask.CA  macphedran@sask.USask.CA  macphedran@sask.BITNET