[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Bootp servers

smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Shawn Masters) (11/04/90)

	I'm in the process of trying to hook up student labs to a few
tcp-ip hosts we have here on campus.  The problem that we have yet to
conquer is the ability of students to mess up the configuration, which
includes the IP address.  With this even a curious student can change
the terminals IP address to that of another device and render his
terminal usless(which is better then the old days when grad students
were locking up their professors sessions by using copies of the profs
software.  This of course really did help prevent site license abusses).
	RARP and BOOTP both look like great alternatives to writing an
encypter decrytper TSR to filter our config.tel files(yes, we're using
NCSA).  I've seen mention of a set of source code files for bootp
servers running under UNIX.  If anyone could give me any information on
where to find these source items, for either protocal, I would be very
grateful.

Shawn Masters
smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

syrjanen@serifos.Helsinki.FI (Seppo Syrjanen) (11/15/90)

In article <2822@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> smasters@gmuvax2.UUCP (Shawn Masters) writes:

>I've seen mention of a set of source code files for bootp
>servers running under UNIX.

Sources for generic bootpd are available at lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu.
Works fine.

Clarkson version of NCSA Telnet has a LPD which contains also a bootpd.

>Shawn Masters
>smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

Seppo Syrjanen
syrjanen@cc.helsinki.fi