[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] IP address assignment at boot time - for PCs

mark@badger.dosli.govt.nz (Mark Wright) (11/16/90)

We have a network of diskless PCs that boot from a server running novell. On
the same ethernet we have a tcp-ip network of unix workstations.

I am currently in the process of installing NCSA telnet over the Clarkson
packet drivers on these PCs.

I want the PCs to get their IP address from a server when they boot. I would
like the addresses to be assigned by the server as they are needed - e.g. a PC
may not always get the same IP address, rather it is allocated from a "pool"
of addresses upon request.

I seem to recall reading of software to do this - can anyone point me in the
right direction?

What are the drawbacks of this approach? We have more PCs then I would like to
configure RARP to handle, so I think it IS preferable.

If I have to use RARP, can ultrix 3.1 ARP handle RARP requests - I can't find
any reference to it in TFM.

All pointers gratefully received.

--

 Mark Wright.                    Dept. of Survey and Land Information,NZ.
 email: mark@dosli.govt.nz       phone: 64 4 710-380 ext 8688

brown@dlogics.COM (Steve Brown) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.005606.4679@dosli.govt.nz>, mark@badger.dosli.govt.nz (Mark Wright) writes:
> We have a network of diskless PCs that boot from a server running novell. On
> the same ethernet we have a tcp-ip network of unix workstations.
>
> I am currently in the process of installing NCSA telnet over the Clarkson
> packet drivers on these PCs.
>
> I want the PCs to get their IP address from a server when they boot. I would
> like the addresses to be assigned by the server as they are needed - e.g. a PC
> may not always get the same IP address, rather it is allocated from a "pool"
> of addresses upon request.

I am trying to solve the same problem.  The current approach is to redirect
the Novell userlist command output to a file, fish out the current user's
segment and address (the "*" opposite the user name) and use it to update the
gateway and myip in the user's local config.tel file.  The userlist and
update programs are run in the user's login .bat file.

This seems to guarantee unique IP addresses without requiring unique
config.tel files on each PC.

This isn't fully operational yet (2 out of 90 PC's), but so far so good.

Steve Brown
Datalogics, Inc.
441 W. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60610
brown@dlogics.com

rah@guug.guug.de (Ralf Heydtmann) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.005606.4679@dosli.govt.nz> mark@badger.dosli.govt.nz (Mark Wright) writes:
>I want the PCs to get their IP address from a server when they boot. I would
>like the addresses to be assigned by the server as they are needed - e.g. a PC
>may not always get the same IP address, rather it is allocated from a "pool"
>of addresses upon request.
>What are the drawbacks of this approach? We have more PCs then I would like to
>configure RARP to handle, so I think it IS preferable.

Mark-
managing a pool of ip-addresses seems to bee difficult. Your pool-manager
must notice the end of a PC's telnet session to mark the address available
again.
But you can modify the bootpd sources to assign pool-addresses. This shouldn't
be too difficult. And NCSA telnet works fine with bootp.

-Ralf

Ralf Heydtmann					AIC Software GmbH
rah@aicmuc.aic.de